Bathroom light replacement

Old 06-11-16, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom light replacement

I am replacing an 1980's bar light with 8 bulbs with a newer fixture. I have done this safely and successfully with a smaller fixture in another bathroom. The light is controlled with just one switch so nothing fancy. When I did this before, the old light had one set of wires and the new light had one set of wires, so the job was simple. I just had to hook up the new light the same way the old one was wired.

This time, the new light has two sets of wires. One set of wires is coming out of the wall. Do I wire these together by connecting all three blacks together, all three whites together and all three grounds together?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-16, 12:01 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
the new light has two sets of wires. One set of wires is coming out of the wall. Do I wire these together by connecting all three blacks together, all three whites together and all three grounds together?
Yes, and if the box is metal the grounds are pigtailed to the box. If the box is plastic the grounds are just all connected together.

Edit: I read your post as two house wires four fixture wires. If that is not correct Stop and post back.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-12-16 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-12-16, 06:12 AM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
The other lights you changed likely had the incoming power running to the switch, this one has the power running to the light so the extra wires are the switch loop so the white wire coming from the switch is not a neutral and should have been marked with black tape to note that.
You need to simply installed the new light to the same wires the old one was wired to.
https://www.google.com/search?q=swit...khlmeIJEspM%3A
There's been at least a hundred post on this one subject where people did not pay attention and just undid all the wires at once instead of doing one side at a time and created a dead short.

Old 06-12-16, 12:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Joe, I read it as two house wires and four fixture wires.

TC, I read your post as two house wires four fixture wires. If that is not correct Stop and post back.

Old 06-13-16, 08:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Sounds like there is just wiring from two sockets with leads from each.