What to do with this lamp....

Old 06-13-16, 11:48 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What to do with this lamp....

So I picked up this ceiling lamp for quite cheap knowing that 2 of the 4 lights didn't lights didn't work.

I figured it was probably a transformer issue but no such luck. The problem is that the leads which were soldered on to the socket base had become brittle and broken. Those leads were in turn spliced to the internal wiring in that tiny space between the glass shade and the brass arm.

Which leaves me with this:

Two tiny wires the shorter of which still has some of the old solder on it. Also all of the replacement sockets I could find already came with leads.

Here is how it goes together to give a sense of the space I'm working with .

As you can see, the socket leeds need to be through the shade before assembly.

It seems I have two options. 1 cut the new socket leads as short as I can and try and to do a very small tight splice and reassemble hoping that the slight slack in the leads will accommodate itself behind the socket.

Try to rewire the lamp which to be honest is kind of intimidating. Also since the two lights that don't work are the ones closest to the base, I'll have the other 4 wires from the working ones in their as well...

Any words of sage advice?

Last edited by Esand1; 06-13-16 at 12:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-16, 11:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Well you said transformer so I assume low voltage. That makes it easier than if it was line voltage. You can just use solder and heat shrink tubing. I'd would splice individual wires and insulate with one or two pieces of heat shrink tubing then pull the splice into the tubing by tugging gently on the wire at the base. When you cut the the wires for the splices you want to cut one two inches shorter than the other. That way the two splices are not together in one big lump which might be difficult to pull.

Old 06-16-16, 10:44 AM
E
Its a tight fit and the splice is going to be the least flexible part. I'm not sure I'll be able to get it past the elbow.

It seems easier to make the splice closer to the socket but I don't have enough wire left to make that splice. I don't really have a ton of wire to do much of anything but I'll give it a try.

If I do have to pull two new wires through I'll need to buy some new wire since I don't have anything that small.

From what I'm seeing I need silicone insulated wire not pvc. Is 0.50mm2 enough for ([email protected]) or do I need 0.75mm2?

Do I need to use a specific type of solder for a splice that will be close to the bulb?

Old 06-16-16, 11:53 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Use rosin core solder the same as for electronics.

Old 06-16-16, 12:33 PM
E
Re ampacity, Is 0.50mm2 (aprox 20AWG) ok? It's OD isn't that much smaller than the .075mm2 but with 8 of them in the lamp tube every bit counts. Most of the ampacity charts on the Internet have info for chassis wiring and power transmission, not sure what that would be. Also some vary by rated insulation temp but are all for 75c or 90c where as the silicone wire says it's good for 200C.

Old 06-16-16, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Your load for each light is approx 4A. A short piece of .50mm2 silicone cable should be ok.
It may generate a slight bit of heat but the silicone is rated for high heat.