commercial outdoor security lighting for residential

Old 06-15-16, 06:43 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
commercial outdoor security lighting for residential

I want to replace my current outside security 3 head halogen light (225w - 4000 lumens) fixture to LED. There is no G8 led replacement bulbs bright enough to maintain current fixture brightness, and all current residential LED outside fixture I can find on the market max out about 2500 lumens. There are commercial options, however I do not know what to look for specifically to ensure compatibility with residential wiring. Maintaining 4000 lumens or higher is a top priority for me. Any insight or suggestion will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-15-16, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Any light fixture that uses 120 volts should work fine with residential wiring. Only caveat would be if your wiring is old (more then 20 years) and the fixture you are looking at requires a 90 degree insulating rating on the wires.

You can post the one(s) you are looking at and we can help determine if they will work.

Old 06-15-16, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
LED lighting only uses a small percentage of the same power that those halogen fixtures use.
There are many high lumen fixtures available but you had better sit down because they run north of $500 each.

The lumen level is not as critical. What is important is what size is the area you want to cover.

Old 06-16-16, 02:09 AM
Z
Tolyn, thanks for the welcoming. My house is only 8 years old.

In regards to electrical, the stuff I am looking at this point is mostly "120v-277V" input. I just realized the HV stuff rated for 480v won't work. I take it the 120v-277v is compatible with standard 120v residential setup? One of the fixture I am considering is listed in the link below. Thanks.

TWH LED - LED Wall Luminaire

Old 06-16-16, 02:25 AM
Z
PJmax, I have seen some expensive light fixtures. Money is not an issue if I can find the right one. I have low retinal vision so high lumens is important for safety reasons. The surface area (of my courtyard area) to cover is roughly 25 feet x 40 feet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: