What is this old dimmer-like switch

Old 06-17-16, 05:12 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is this old dimmer-like switch

I started looking into a series of inoperable dimmers and outlets in my new house and came across this odd dimmer/solenoid. It is connected to four pairs of light weight wires that look maybe like speaker wire. But other than a defunct intercom system from the 80s, I can't imagine what it does. Maybe volume control?

Any ideas?Name:  IMG_20160616_204837426.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  12.8 KB
Old 06-17-16, 10:43 AM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 16,321
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Yes, it is a volume control for some audio system. It is possible that the speakers were in the ceiling and either removed or covered. There should be a location somewhere in the house where the receiver/amplifier was located and this location should have a bunch of low-voltage cabling.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: