New light fixture, 60c wire, and no ground - correct fix?

Old 06-22-16, 06:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New light fixture, 60c wire, and no ground - correct fix?

I have a house built in 1952. In the kitchen there was a ceiling fan installed by the previous owners which had CFLs in it. One of the CFLs finally burned out (took 10 years!), and when I went to change the bulb, I discovered the socket just turned around and around inside the fixture, so it was impossible to unscrew the bulb. Clearly it was time for a new fixture, so I bought one, took down the old fixture, and when I opened the box for the new fixture, discovered the whole 60c wire vs 90c requirement. The last light fixture I installed must have been before the warnings were required, because I don't recall this at all.

After doing some reading, it appears the correct way to fix this problem is to install a junction box the minimum distance from the light fixture, pull the 60c wire back to the new junction box, splice 90c wire onto the old 60c wire, and pull the new 90c wire to the light fixture's box. I was planning on calling out an electrician to do this, when it occurred to me that the existing wiring doesn't have a ground either. Can they do this fix without a ground, or does code require that the wiring be replaced altogether in this circumstance? I'd like to have some idea what I need before I call the electrician.

Fortunately, the previous owners had the breaker box upgraded when they put in central air, so that is pretty new.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-16, 07:13 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
it occurred to me that the existing wiring doesn't have a ground either. Can they do this fix without a ground, or does code require that the wiring be replaced altogether in this circumstance?
The question is would your fix be considered extending an ungrounded circuit. Code says you can't extend an ungrounded circuit because all new wiring must meet current code. Your in a gray area. You could by latest code run a ground wire only to the old box from the nearest grounded circuit (older code required it be from the panel or panel ground within five feet of the panel so it depends on your local code). Of course the best CYA answer is to just run a new circuit.
I'd like to have some idea what I need before I call the electrician.
This is a rather simple DIY job. You don't really need an electrician.