Strange ceiling fan problem

Old 06-26-16, 04:47 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Strange ceiling fan problem

Hey all. I thought I would come here hoping somebody can help me with my weird problem before I pull out what hair i have left. I've just finished renovating the 2nd room in my house and just as I did the 1st room, I installed a ceiling fan. This time, however, I've come across a strange problem. I have a Harbor Breeze springfield ii ceiling fan hooked up to a honey well wireless remote. When I use the remote, everything works okay. The fan turns off and on, lights turn off and on, dim, all fan speeds work fine. Off on, everything works great. Can stand there all day and flip buttons on the remote and no problems. Here's where things start to get weird.

If I have my fan and lights turned on and flip the wall switch off, then flip it back on... nothing. No lights no fan, nothing. The breaker has not tripped. Everything else in the room is on. The weirdness continues. In order to resume normal operation, I have to go downstairs, flip the breaker off and then back on. Operation resumes until I hit the wall switch off again. When I turn the wall switch back on, nothing. Downstairs, flip breaker off/on, back upstairs and flip the switch on, everything normal again.

The weirdness continues. If I have the fan off and only using the light fixture, I can flip the wall switch just fine and nooooo problems. But if I flip the wall switch off when using the fan, POOF. Nothing comes on when I switch the wall switch back on.

I took the fan down, took it back to lowes and exchanged thinking maybe a capacitor or something was going bad. This new one does the same thing. It's driving me crazy. I don't understand what's going on. I can use the remote all day and everything works fine. The second I hit the wall switch off when the fan is running and then back on, everything goes stupid.

It gets weirder. I don't always HAVE to reset the breaker. If i leave the switch off, and come back in a few hours, hit the switch on and it comes on.

What in the world is going on here????

Old 06-26-16, 04:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Did you back stab the switch? If you did change the wires to the screws. If wires pigtailed check connections there also.

Old 06-26-16, 04:57 PM
C
Received 178 Upvotes on 145 Posts
My first thought is an interaction between the wall switch and wireless control. If you disconnect the Honeywell wireless and just hook up the fan normally, what happens?

Old 06-26-16, 05:02 PM
G
I haven't tried the set up without the remote. I assumed the remote was okay since I can use all the functions without any trouble. As much as I hate the thought of taking the ceiling fan down AGAIN lol. So are you saying the universal remote may be faulty?

Old 06-26-16, 05:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Easier to check switch first.

Old 06-26-16, 05:06 PM
G
Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean when you say "backstab"

Old 06-26-16, 05:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Switch has 2 screws on side and 2 holes in back. If wires in holes it is back stabbed. It is a sometime cause for problems.

Old 06-26-16, 05:42 PM
G
I always use the side screws. Call me old fashioned, but it seems to be more secure that way. I guess I'll try the wall switch first and then the remote. Something simple as a wall switch, is it really likely that could contribute to the problem? I never thought to check the wall switch. It's just a simple off and on switch that illuminates when turned off.

But why do I only get this problem when using the fan? If I use just the light fixture, everything is fine. Why is it only when operating the fan that the power is interupted when I hit that switch?

Old 06-26-16, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure but fan pulls slightly more current than light. Any loose connection would show up than.

Old 06-26-16, 07:21 PM
G
Connections are tight. Entire fan assembly has even been reinstalled because I returned the original fan for an exchange hoping that would solve the problem. This new fan does the same exact thing. I made sure everything was tight and wired correctly. Not that hard really, the wires on the remote match up to the fan perfectly. black to black, white to white, blue to blue and then the ground.

Old 06-26-16, 07:23 PM
C
Received 178 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Here's my thinking about the remote. When you shut off the switch you are removing power to the receiver for the remote. If you turn it right back on it may not be resetting properly.

Could be way off base....wouldn't be the first time

Old 06-26-16, 07:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,119 Upvotes on 3,699 Posts
A Honeywell remote for a Harbor Bay fan ?
Is that a universal remote and receiver that works with any fan ?

Normally you wouldn't be turning the power off with the switch if you have a remote. Some remotes will act strange when power is interrupted to them.

Old 06-26-16, 07:56 PM
J
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. As far as the fan is concerned the only difference between flipping the breaker and the switch "should" be the location. Either should be opening the "hot" lead. Try reversing the hot & neutral at the fan to see if that makes a difference.

Good luck,
Jim

Old 06-26-16, 09:24 PM
H
Here is my thinking about your fan and the light switch I think your light switch with the night light in it when off is interfering with how the fan functions. Probably a capacitor is inside the switch and that allows the light in the switch to shine. However at the same time it is also causing problems so your best solution in my opinion is to replace the switch with one that has no light and keep the wiring as it is.

Old 06-28-16, 02:36 PM
G
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Looks like I've got allot of troubleshooting to do. The Honeywell remote is a universal. I have the same remote in the other room I renovated. The fan is the same brand "Harbor Breeze", but the model is different. The light switch is the same as what's in the other room as well, and it seems to work fine.

I'm not much of an electrician. I only replace receptacles and simple things of the sorts. The idea of switching the hot and neutral wires actually crossed my mind, but I was afraid to try it. This is an old house and it would not surprise me if the wires were somehow reversed the wrong way when the previous person wires up the switch loop. The thought crossed my mind but I was afraid to actually try switching the wires for fear of starting a fire or damage to the fan.

An added note, I bought this remote from the clearance bin at a discounted price. I'm wondering if it was on clearance to due consumer complaints.

Old 06-28-16, 03:47 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'm wondering if it was on clearance to due consumer complaints.
Or it was a returned item. I'd try the universal remote you have that works in the other fan with the problem fan. If then no problem you know the remote was bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: