Panasonic FV-08VQ5 - does it turn off?

Old 06-29-16, 08:07 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Panasonic FV-08VQ5 - does it turn off?

I recently moved into a new house and the hallway bathroom has this ceiling fan on. It is nice and quiet and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with its operation other than it does not turn OFF. There is a wall switch with two switches, one operates the light and the other appears to do nothing. I would assume it is supposed to operate the fan.

Is this fan supposed to be able to turn off? I can, BTW, pull the cover plate off and disconnect a wire which will cut power to it. And plugging that wire back in makes the fan go on again, but the wall switch still does nothing.

Did the installers mess up? Or is this how it is supposed to be?

Old 06-29-16, 08:22 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
It's possible that if this is a newly built house that is air sealed tightly for energy efficiency that this is a ventilation fan intended to maintain indoor air quality and intended to run all the time. I would ask the builder. The location outside the bathroom is a common location for such a fan, as opposed to a bath ventilation fan that would be inside the bathroom.

But it's certainly possible that it was installed incorrectly and is meant to be switch controlled. When you say you remove the cover plate, are you talking about the switch cover plate? If so, give us a picture of it with the switches pulled out but the wires all connected.

Old 06-30-16, 05:07 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I was talking about the cover plate for the fan itself, not the switch plate. But thank you for the idea. When I did take the switch plate off I saw that the switch itself had some special controls on it. It appears the two switch positions are for ON and AUTO, and the AUTO settings were set in such a way that it just ran constantly.

Do you know where I can learn about why you'd want a fan to run constantly or periodically throughout the day? I've always just run it when showering to get the steam out of the room...

Old 06-30-16, 06:10 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
The auto setting may monitor humidity and run the fan when over some setpoint.

A search for "Indoor Air Quality" and/or "Ventilation for Indoor Air Quality" will get you started.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: