Temperature and bulb life.

Old 06-30-16, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temperature and bulb life.

So I have my new outdoor light fixtures and they're not great quality, but I'm not sending them back now. I now need to decide between LEDs and Halogen.

On one hand using LEDs means I could leave them on all night. Which would be nice but isn't necessary since I have other lights that stay on all night. The downside is that compact LEDs are not available with much power.

I was leaning towards just going for the halogen since they're cheaper and brighter but the guy at the hardware store said that since the outdoor fixture is sealed that the temperature inside could cause the bulb to burn out every couple months.

Is this true? It seems like you often see halogen bulbs in ovens and even in open fixtures they get really hot. If it is true how much shorter life could we be talking about?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-16, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 290 Posts
Halogen bulbs actually benefit from higher temperatures. At high temperatures the material burned off the filament can re-condense on the element prolonging life. The heat can have a detrimental affect on the fixture housing and it's electronics if it's not built properly. But halogens do have a limited lifespan.

LED's are great but they are an electronic device. It's not a simple light bulb. You don't just have to consider the lifespan of the emitter but also of each component in it's power supply. I think it's a case where quality really matters.

Old 06-30-16, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thats actually why I wanted to ask. I had read about the halogen cycle and it benefiting from higher temps which is why I thought it was strange to be told that they'd burn out more regularly because of the weatherproof housing. I don't have a problem with the normal lifetime of a halogen bulb, just didn't want to be changing it every 3 months.

Sounds like I'll just go for the regular bulbs then.