I want to install a ceiling light, but find this inside the hole instead...


Old 07-04-16, 06:09 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: canada
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I want to install a ceiling light, but find this inside the hole instead...

I just moved into a new condo and there's a metal cover in the ceiling over what I assumed was for a future light fixture. When I removed the cover hoping to install some track lighting, I find this intead:

Is this a new thing to replace the black/white/green wire system lol? What do I do with this?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-16, 07:15 PM
chandler's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 39,967
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Return the cover and leave it alone. It is your sprinkler system in case of a fire.
Old 07-04-16, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 859
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
I couldn't see real well inside but I agree, its looks like a sprinkler head to me. Thing is, I cant figure out why its enclosed. The little copper colored things should be open to the room.
Old 07-04-16, 08:30 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 54,227
Received 479 Votes on 449 Posts
In a flush situation like in an apartment or house the cover used over the sprinkler head has lead holding the cover in place and melts with the heat of a fire exposing the actual sprinkler head.
Old 07-06-16, 11:22 AM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,983
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
That is a sprinkler. Some have aesthetic covers so as to be less obtrusive.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: