My fav lamp is running hot....

Old 07-05-16, 06:16 AM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
My fav lamp is running hot....

I have this really cool night lamp that turns on and off by touch...so this is really neat feature.
It takes 2x 40W bulbs and always been working well.... however recently I noticed that it seems to be overheating the bulbs.

I have the recommended 40W bulbs but they run extremely hot....to the point that if the lamp is on for more than 20 min I can barely touch the metal parts and the bulbs actually smell as if they were burning.

Not sure if this is something to do with the touch-on / touch -off feature or something else....but would hate to throw it out.

Any ideas how to troubleshoot it ?

Old 07-05-16, 06:45 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Doesn't sound like the heat would be related to the touch control, incandescent lamps don't really care what their voltage looks like. My guess would be poor air circulation. Any heat source like a lamp will build up heat if it does not have a place to go. Have you tried any of the lower powered energy efficient bulbs, like the LEDs? They can give off the smae desired amount of light pur dissipate less energy as heat.

Bud

Old 07-05-16, 07:54 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Are there ventilation holes here and there that are clogged with dust?

Did you install a different shade than what came with the lamp unit?

Old 07-06-16, 02:53 PM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I suspect some sort of electrical issue.....those bulbs have been installed for over a year now.
Nothing was changed about the lamp..... I am certain that something isn't right though - as it never got this hot

Old 07-06-16, 03:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
80 watts is certainly a hefty night light.

A picture of it would be helpful for us to comment further. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 07-06-16, 05:42 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 285 Upvotes on 260 Posts
One more thing to check, unscrew each bulb and clean the contact in the socket bottom and the contact at the tip of the bulb base. Pry up the socket contact a little to be sure it is springy.

More difficult to fix is wiring riveted to the socket shell and base contact.

A loose connection will develop additional heat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: