Dimmers

Old 07-07-16, 09:06 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Dimmers

I have can lighting fixtures in my kitchen. They are on a dimmer switch. I recently bought (labeled) dimmable led lights. I had been using regular incandescent bulbs with no problems. There are 10 lights involved on the switch. When I installed all the led light bulbs, they would not dim all the way down to off. They would all, be on but faintly. I found that when I put one incandescent back in the circuit, they would then all dim down to completely off. Forgot to mention that when I turned the switch off, the lights would still be faintly on. This was not the main problem but did confuse me. The main problem was that eventually the dimmer switch quit working all together, the on off still worked. I have replaced this dimmer switch once now it broken again at around twelve dollars a dimmer switch, I am in need of advice, as to why this is happening. I have one light over sink with the same condition as the 10 light run.

Old 07-07-16, 09:35 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The dimmer must be rated for LEDs and even then it may take switching brands to find one that works for you. As you found adding back one incandescent may help by increasing the load.

Old 07-07-16, 09:42 AM
C
Received 175 Upvotes on 143 Posts
Make sure your new dimmer is labeled as LED compatible. A lot of older dimmers are not.
It's possible (likely) the new dimmer will require a neutral connection in the switch box. You may or may not have a neutral depending on the type of original installation. If you don't then you will be faced with modifying the wiring or living without the dimmer.

More good news...the LED dimmer will probably be even more expensive.

Good luck with your project!

Old 07-07-16, 03:55 PM
You need a compatible dimmer. It sounds like you don't have a compatible dimmer.

As Ray said, even a compatible dimmer might take some trial and error.

Usually that trial and error only involves seeing if the dimmer is capable of dimming below 10% or so (some find that acceptable). It doesn't involve blowing out the dimmer or causing damage.

Old 07-07-16, 05:56 PM
M
I was not aware of a dimmer switch rated for led's, thought the lights themselves rated as being able to be used with a dimmer switch would have been enough.

So now to be sure I have this right, I now need a dimmer switch, rated for led's, am I to assume that regular led lights will not work with the led rated dimmer switch?

So in summing things up, is this correct? I need to have a dimmer switch rated for led's, and led lights rated as being dimmable. These dimmer switches you speak of are they labeled as such? You stated older dimmer switch will not work with led lights, well the dimmer I bought is far from old. I have just put the wiring in for the updated kitchen, it is the standard wire needed for a three way switch. Black hot wire, white neutral, bare ground, and and extra wire to handle the two way switch. Will the non dimming switch at the other end of the dual switch opposite the dimmer switch, need to be a special marked switch for led lighting too. And your statement that this still might not work is confusing.

Old 07-07-16, 06:53 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
am I to assume that regular led lights will not work with the led rated dimmer switch
Not sure what a regular LED light is but if a LED bulb is not rated for dimming it won't work.

Old 07-07-16, 07:13 PM
C
Received 175 Upvotes on 143 Posts
Yes, you need LED compatible dimmer (it will say so on package) and dimmable LED bulbs.
The other, non-dimmer 3 way switch does not need to be LED compatible.

There is not yet ideal standardization in dimmable LED bulbs or LED dimmers, so there are some combinations that don't work well. The most common complaint is that the bulbs won't get as dim as one might like even with the dimmer turned to min. brightness. I suggest you pick a name brand dimmer (Lutron Maestro series get good reviews, as an example) and it will probably work fine for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: