Dimmer for screen porch string lights

Old 07-09-16, 10:19 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimmer for screen porch string lights

Electrically challenged so bear with me...

Have a screen porch with a single string of lights (15 incandescent bulbs @ 11 watts each) that plugs into an GFCI outlet attached to a porch post.

We really like the string lights but would like to be able to dim them. I've seen dimmers that plug into the outlet which you then plug in the lights but none rated for outdoor use. Any ideas other than wiring a dimmer switch and buying new hardwired lights? Below is a pic of current setup. I appreciate the help!
Name:  IMG_6286.jpg
Views: 7003
Size:  42.4 KB

Old 07-09-16, 11:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
They do make a special receptacle and plug which allow a code acceptable way to dim a receptacle. Lutron Electronics Introduces Dimmable Receptacle | Lighting Controls Association

Old 07-09-16, 11:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
I would install another weather proof box above your receptacle. I'd install a dimmer in it and use an in-use cover to secure it from the weather. Then at the top.... install a single receptacle. If you kept the box up high enough you wouldn't need a WP cover on it.

The little picture below is just an illustration of an in-use cover. Your application would put the dimmer there.

Name:  iuc.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  3.5 KB Name:  IMG_6286.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  44.5 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: