Outdoor GFI receptacle won't reset

Old 07-15-16, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor GFI receptacle won't reset

So i was washing down the outside of my house today with my hose, i have a back porch with a double spotlight type fixture mounted on the back of the house, below that is a gfi outlet and a dimmer switch for lights that are around the porch, a while ago the glass piece for one of the spotlights fell out and i forgot to replace it...i sprayed the house down and went to turn on the spotlight after and nothing happened. I tried turning the lights on for the porch and nothing, i checked the gfi and i can push in the reset button but nothing happens. Same with the test button, the breaker down stairs isnt tripped and i turned it off and back on just incase and that didnt help. I dont know if the water got in the spotlight or in the outlet somehow. Ive heard it will dry out after a day or so but i would like some more input. I tried taking a hair dryer to the spotlight for a few minutes but they didnt do anything. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-16, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
If it won't set or reset then it could be something is still wet on the load side of the GFI receptacle. If waiting a day or two to dry out doesn't help then you'll need to pull out the receptacle, disconnect the load side wiring and see if it resets now.

If not.... check for power at the line side to the GFI receptacle. Either there is no 120vac or the receptacle is defective.

Old 07-15-16, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is there by chance another GFCI ahead of this one somewhere that may have tripped, perhaps in bathroom or garage?

Old 07-15-16, 07:38 PM
It worked with no problems since we bought the house and it worked a few hours before i got it wet...is it possible something is damaged or is it most likely its just still wet? It happened about 5 oclock. Its normal for it to take a day or 2 to dry right?

If something was wet would it try to reset? Or would it just do absolutely nothing when you push the reset button?Thanks for the quick response

Old 07-15-16, 07:42 PM
I dont believe so, i dont have a garage and everything in the kitchen (the room on the inside of the wall that the spotlight is attached to) and the bathroom is working.

Also there is a little light in the corner of the gfi thats not lit up, ive heard it should be yellow if it needs to be reset and ive heard it is only lit up green if it is working. Is it one or the other or does it depend on the model?

Old 07-15-16, 08:50 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The newer GFCIs have more or less standardized on green is good, yellow is tripped, but older ones may use different coding. Also, newer GFCIs won't reset if there is no power applied; older ones usually would.

Your symptoms sound to me like it isn't getting power, which is why I asked about another GFCI, since you said you cycled the breaker.

I suggest you follow Pete's advice, that will get you to the bottom of it.

Old 07-21-16, 10:46 PM
I switched out the gfci for a new one i had left over, everything is good as new now for the cost of zero dollars. Thanks a lot for your help guys