Recessed lights -remove new construction fixture?

Old 07-23-16, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed lights -remove new construction fixture?

Hi all, I have some recessed cans in my one story home. They are the type that has a socket only for a specific type of plug in CFL bulb (which are hard to find, delicate, etc).

I want to put retro fit LEDs in. This means I can either a) replace the entire housing or b) rewire the ballast. I've tested it both ways and there are pros and cons.

A) Replace entire Housing:
Did this on one light so far. Removed wires from original can fixture. Ran new wires to remodel fixture. Put back in ceiling, worked great. BUT, I left the original fixture in the ceiling. It's not wired but it was screwed into the joists so it was really hard to take out (I did not go into the attic..,it's July and I'm in Florida). So I left it. Bad idea? I just kind of cut away as much as I could with tin snips and situated the new fixture out of its way. This worked better for the retrofit led kit bc the remodel housing has the brackets for the "V" tension ears clip into. It's nice and snug.

B) keep existing housing
This involved pulling the wires out of the junction box, rewiring so that it would accommodate the LED fixture. But the can doesn't have the brackets for the "v" clips to grab on to. It's just smooth on the inside. So it was hard to get the LED retrofit to stay in the can. Are there other options for this?

I'd prefer to do option A even though it involved buying the remodel fixtures. BUT, since it's so difficult to get the current fixtures down, can I just leave them up in the attic? They're don't have any power running to them so they're basically just sitting there. (They're really installed well into joists. I could try hitting/destroying them with a hammer I suppose?)

(All fixtures are IC rated and I do have blown in insulation which of course rained down the whole time I was working).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-16, 07:36 AM
Received 23 Votes on 23 Posts
I would stick with plan A, leaving the old cans isn't really a problem as long as they are not powered,maybe you could remove them when the weather is cooler,but not necessary.