Does dimmer leak harm LED bulbs?

Old 07-24-16, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does dimmer leak harm LED bulbs?

Hi,

We recently switched out the PAR20 50 watt halogens in our track lighting with 7 watt PAR20 LEDs. Everything works fine, except our Lutron dimmers leak just enough electricity to barely light the three LEDs in each track when the dimmer is switched off.

It's just enough that the LEDs put off a very faint glow that is really only noticeable when the room is dark. Obviously the dimmers have always leaked a little electricity when switched off, it was just never enough to light a halogen bulb at all.

Our house automation is still X-10 based, which the Lutron dimmers support. Nobody seems to make dimmers that support X-10 anymore, especially for LEDs, so replacing the dimmers isn't really an option.

The only other solution I can think of is to put one halogen in each track. That resolves the leak in the other two LEDs, but it still puts each track at 64 watts. Obviously much better than 150 watts each, but not as good as 21.

I'm fine with leaving them as they are, but I'm wondering if having a small amount of electricity all the time will harm the LEDs, or shorten their lifespan in any significant manner?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-16, 01:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 378 Votes on 355 Posts
Since LED's are relatively new.... I'm not sure if the question about harming the LED's can be answered reliably. No one really knows the long term results yet.

Short term.... the LED's are not harmed staying on dim when the dimmer is turned off.