Not sure how to use this light switch

Old 07-28-16, 02:46 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Not sure how to use this light switch

Hi,

I just moved into a new flat in Germany and it has no light fittings. There are normal on/off switches on the walls and exposed wires coming from the ceiling. I have never done any home electronics but I tested them with a voltmeter and I am happy to connect lights to all but one.

One of the switches has a spring inside and flicks back to the off position as soon as you take your hand off it. I assumed it was some sort of dimmer that had maybe 3-4 settings that it would cycle through but the voltmeter showed 0V no matter how many times I tested it. After scratching my head, I jammed the switch into the "on" position with some cardboard and then the wires were live when I tested them.

Is anyone familiar with this sort of switch? What is it for? If I connect a light will it only work as I hold the switch in and then just turn off? I can't think what the purpose of this thing is.

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 07-28-16, 03:15 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately for you this is primarily a North American forum. Electrical devices outside of the U.S. and Canada can be significantly different from what we use. I'm not sure if any one here can answer your question. What you describe sounds like momentary contact switch. If it is it would not connect directly to a light but might control a relay that operates a light.

Old 07-28-16, 03:54 AM
N
Thanks Ray,

I will ask around at work today. It makes sense that it would be a control switch for something, but the fact that it only seems to control a single circuit which pops out on its own in the middle of the ceiling is confusing to me. I guess I can replace that switch with a standard one but if I do that the mystery will remain forever...

Jeff

Old 07-28-16, 07:19 AM
As Ray said it sounds like a Momentary Contact Switch.
My only guess would be someone installed the wrong type of switch at some point.
Whether in Germany, U.S., or anyplace else, I can't imagine a reason you would need a momentary switch in a home.

Old 01-19-17, 08:22 AM
J
hi
does anyone have like a basic light+switch wiring diagram that is the standard in the U.S? i need to install 1 relay myself, but i think that the relay might be for U.S standards and not the EU? (we basically have live wire in the wall, but not inside the ceiling - so if you switch off the light, the light will be completely Cold...)

and the topic starter's momentary switch might have been for a light with a timer? like if you click it, then it will start the timer inside the lamp, so the lamp would switch off after 5 minutes or something...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: