Grounding wire question - retrofit light fixture with LED

Old 08-02-16, 05:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grounding wire question - retrofit light fixture with LED

I am trying to replace an old ceiling light fixture with a LED retrofit. I removed the old fixture & metal housing box and have the new metal housing and junction box. The apartment bldg is old - so only black and white wires coming out of ceiling. LED light junction box has black, white, and copper ground (screwed to junction box). I attach the black to black, and white to white, then light fixture attaches via the orange color connectors. Instructions say "GROUND bare wire to ground." What do I connect the free end of the copper wire to? I cannot find anyplace on the LED light itself and again, nothing coming from the ceiling wiring...(see photos that hopefully better describes the situation). Finally the ceiling wiring is a thicker gauge than the LED wiring - is that OK to just connect the ceiling and LED wiring together and use tape/connectors? Thanks in advance for any help.

Name:  IMG_3323.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  34.2 KBName:  IMG_3325.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  51.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-16, 05:26 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The apartment bldg is old
That is a red flag. If you don't own the apartment you should not be doing any wiring.
What do I connect the free end of the copper wire to
The metal sheath of your cable is your ground. You need to use an armored cable connector to to connect the cable to the box. That will be your ground. There is a knock out in the metal box for the armored cable connector.

Name:  99203c3e-4566-42fd-89a5-a7270c1643b3_400.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  5.6 KB
the ceiling wiring is a thicker gauge than the LED wiring - is that OK
That is normal.
the orange color connectors
Those are wire nuts. Check that they have wire springs inside. If they don't throw them away and buy real wire nuts.
tape/connectors
Wire nuts not tape.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-02-16 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 83 Posts
The apartment bldg is old
If this is an apartment normally you can not do any electrical work. The work must be done by a licensed contractor.

FYI: The AC cable armor is your ground. The cable gets connected to the metal box of the can with the proper connector. The ground wire would remain disconnected because the fixture would be grounded by the connector and cable armor. Any wire splices should be done with wirenuts, no tape.

Old 08-02-16, 05:57 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you both - and sorry for clarity, it is a condo building (we own) and by-laws authorize us to make electrical changes inside the apt.