Which motion/photo sensor switch to buy?

Old 08-09-16, 02:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Which motion/photo sensor switch to buy?

I have a large garage building where I need to install two motion/photo sensor switches, each controlling (8) fluorescent fixtures with 3x32w ballasts. I tried installing the best I could find from Home Depot and they appeared to not be able to handle the load (worked for a little bit, then stopped functioning at all).

Obviously I'm not an electrical expert, but I feel confident in installing these switches (have installed several others on single fixtures elsewhere). Just need some advice on what exactly to buy and perhaps where I can find it (since Home Depot seems to not have what I need).

If any further detail is needed to solve this I'd be happy to provide it. Thanks in advance for any advice and direction that may be given!

Old 08-09-16, 03:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
It might be better to use the sensor to control contactors with 120 volt coils and operate the lights from the contactors.

Old 08-09-16, 05:39 PM
C
Received 173 Upvotes on 141 Posts
Most residential type motion sensor switches (like the lutron Maestro series) top out about 800 watts and you are pushing that, with an inductive load to boot. Ray's suggestion to use the motion sensor to control a higher current relay is a good one.

Others here have recommended these relays as easy to use for this type of application:

Functional Devices, Inc. - Products - Building Automation - Relays - Power - RIB01P

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: