2 switch ceiling fan wiring question.

Old 08-13-16, 07:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question 2 switch ceiling fan wiring question.

So i took down the existing fan and it had 2 switches on the wall 1 for the fan and 1 for the lights.

In the box on the roof i found 2 "sets" of wires. So one set is a black, white and ground, other set is likewise one black, white and ground. In the box the grounds were twisted together in the box.

New ceiling fan has a remote and the wirse for that is just black and white and green for ground. I hooked up one set and everything worked, but then i had the extra "set" of wires and switch which would do nothing.

The wires coming out of the remote box has a black, white, and a blue that goes to the light.

Could i use the other set of wires to the blue wire? Just wasn't sure how to wire that with just one blue wire for the light, but i have a black, white and ground coming out of the roof.

Thanks for any words of advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-16, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What is the wiring at the switch box?

Old 08-13-16, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

In order for your two switches to have controlled the fan and light you would have needed to have a three wire cable between the switches and the fan. You don't.

So... I'm going to assume that just one of the switches controlled the fan and/or the light.

In your ceiling box you have 2) two wire cables. One is the feed to the box and the other is the two wire switch loop. The diagram illustrates what you have/had.

Name:  switchloop.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  13.3 KB

You can leave the black and white feed to the fan remote control.
Take the white* wire from the switch line and connect it to the two black wires.
Take the black wire and connect it to the "lights" blue wire.... not the remote blue wire.

The fan remote will always control just the fan.
The wall switch only will control the light.

*We're using the white wire which is normally reserved for use as a neutral as a hot wire. We would color or tape that white a different color like red or blue so that is wasn't confused as a neutral.