Discovered wiring issue on a recently purchased house

Old 08-14-16, 06:31 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Discovered wiring issue on a recently purchased house

Found that a ground wire was mistakenly wired to a hot wire in a junction box in the wall. So to fix the problem the electriction connected the hot ground to the hot wires at the switch! The switch and lights work, but will it work long term? Does the wall need to be open up and issues fixed in the junction box? Thanks for your help

Old 08-14-16, 06:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not quite following you.
Do you mean there is a buried junction box IN the wall ?

If there is a known wiring error there and you know where the box is... yes... it should be repaired.
I can't for the life of me understand how an "electrician" could connect a ground wire to a hot wire.

Old 08-14-16, 07:40 PM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks... Yes the junction box is behind the drywall

I agree I don't understand how this could happen the the previous owner was told it would be ok as is, because the live ground was taped and not touching anything and wire nutted to the other hots at the switch!

Old 08-14-16, 07:45 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
No such thing as a "hot ground". If a ground was connected to a hot wire it would be a dead short and trip a breaker. Or do you mean he connected a ground to neutral that is wrong but it won't trip a breaker.

We need to see the wiring in this switch box. Leave the switch connected but pull it out and tale pictures of both sides. and a picture of any connections in the box. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html

Edit: Didn't see your last post. The wall needs to be opened.

Please add your location to your profile. If you are within the city limits I'm guessing you got one of the many bootleg electricians. The city is so strict on licensed electricians it seems to encourage the bootleggers because of the cost for a real electricians.

Old 08-14-16, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
Sorry.... that is not correct.
Actually sounds a little scary. I would not be satisfied with a repair like that.

Old 08-15-16, 11:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 196 Upvotes on 172 Posts
Sounds like the hot failed and the bare ground was repurposed to to replace it.
No responsible electrician should have done this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: