ceiling lighting wiring help

Old 08-21-16, 01:08 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ceiling lighting wiring help

Hi,

I moved to a new condo in Toronto, and am having trouble figuring out the wiring (I have some basic experience, but I couldn't figure this out so hopefully someone can help me )

Background
The control panel has 3 switches, and are wired as so:
Name:  switches.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  28.1 KB
For clarification, we'll call the switches 1,2, and 3 from left to right. The top of 1 (1T) has an orange wire connected to wall, and another orange wire connected to the bottom of switch 2 (2B). The bottom of switch 1 (1B) is also connected to the wall via a brown wire. 2T is connected from the wall via a blue wire, as well as 3B via a brown wire. 3T is connected to the wall via a pink wire, and 3B is connected to 2T via a brown wire.

The ceiling has 2 outlets, and look like this:
1st outlet (I'd prefer to use this one based on its location)
Name:  outlet 1.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  53.6 KB
For clarification, there is 1 black wire bundle, 2 white wire bundles, 1 green wire bundle, 1 orange wire bundle, a single brown wire (without the twist on wire connector), and a pink wire (same colour as the switch) that I can see near the top, but isn't exposed or comes out in any way).

2nd outlet
Name:  outlet 2.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  51.1 KB
For clarification, there is 1 black wire bundle, 2 white wire bundles, 2 green wire bundle, 1 orange wire bundle, a single blue wire (without the twist on wire connector), and a pink wire (same colour as the switch) that I can see near the top, but isn't exposed or comes out in any way).

Testing
So basically all I want to do is control a single light fixture (it comes with a black/white/ground wire) to be controlled by one switch. I don't understand why the switches are wired together like that, but tried all the combinations via an electrical test pen, with the following:

1 2 3 | Brown Blue Pink
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 0 0 | 0 0 0
0 0 1 | 0 0 0
0 1 0 | 1 1 0
0 1 1 | 1 1 1
1 0 0 | 1 1 0
1 0 1 | 1 1 0
1 1 0 | 1 1 0
1 1 1 | 1 1 1

-the orange wires are always live regardless of the switches
-both switches 2 and 3 need to be ON for the pink to be live (I still don't know what it does or where it goes (its not the balcony light, there's a separate switch for that))
-both blue and brown are live as long as either switches 2 or 3 are ON
-the black wires is always on, and I think is for the receptacles as it only turns off if I turn off the receptacle fuse

I'm guessing I should be connecting the black from my light to either the brown/blue, but the switch controls don't make sense to me. Can someone explain this wiring to me? What is the simplest way for me to just wire my ceiling light to a switch? Thanks!

Old 08-21-16, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,990 Upvotes on 3,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can you take another picture with the switches pushed down so that we can see the back of the switches?

Something looks incorrect at the switches.

It's very common..... and technically not right...... to use both the screw terminals and their corresponding push-in terminals. Doing that is using the switch as a splice point.

Old 08-21-16, 06:42 PM
N
Hi PJmax,

Here you go:

Name:  switches 2.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  32.5 KB

Is it possible this is wired incorrectly?

Old 08-21-16, 06:51 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Normally there would be a hot pigtailed to all three switches then a hot from each light one to each switch. Has this ever worked?

Old 08-21-16, 07:58 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have a voltage tester or meter ?
The orange wire needs to be checked to the metal box for hot/120v.

I'm pretty sure the brown wire on switch 2 should be attached to the orange side screw terminal.... not the blue one.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  42.9 KB

Old 08-22-16, 01:20 PM
N
Ok I swapped the brown wire as you mentioned in switch two. I think it works now in that (I tested with a multimeter):

-switch 1 controls the brown wire from outlet 1
-switch 2 controls the blue wire from outlet 2
-the orange wires from the outlet are always hot

I just installed my light onto the brown wire from outlet 1, which seems to work.

Thank you PJ (and Ray) for helping!

Still no idea what switch 3 does or is connected to though..

Old 08-22-16, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Possibly a spare capped off in a junction box someplace.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: