Replacing ceiling fan with remote

Old 08-21-16, 04:52 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing ceiling fan with remote

I recently replaced an existing ceiling fan with new one and having trouble putting the wiring back together and working.

Name:  IMG_4462.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  35.9 KB

Name:  IMG_4463.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  26.7 KB

Sorry about the picture quality.
I hooked the ceiling fan up according to the ceiling fan instruction and the remote per its instruction. There is a green wire (capped off and not connected. At first I thought this is a ground wire but turned out not to be) coming from the ceiling of the first picture which I believe is suppose to hook up to the light source. The green wire at the switch, second picture is connected to the yellow wire, which is the light switch. I am not sure how to connect green wire coming from the ceiling as there nothing in the remote instruction for this. Your expertise is appreciated.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-21-16 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Rotate, enlarge, and crop images.
Old 08-21-16, 05:24 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The green is never connected to a neutral or hot wire. A green is always ground. Yellow indicates a hot wire so that connection is obviously wrong. Best guess is the yellow of the switch is only used on a 3-way switch circuit.

I'd expect to see four wires coming out of the remote at the fan. But I only see three. Usually there would be:
  • A black to power in.
  • Red to fan motor.
  • Blue to light.
  • All whites connected together.
What do you have.

Last edited by ray2047; 08-21-16 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 06:23 PM
H
yea, green is suppose to be ground but in the case the previous set up has green used at light wire as green was attached to yellow wire at the switch.
As far as the remote, there are 5 wires coming out of it, a white and red (these are connected to the ceiling wires) on one side and white, blue, black on the other side (these are connected to the fan)
I forgot the mention that the wall switch has a rotary nob for fan and one for light.

You mention the blue wire from the fan is the light wire so if the green wire (in my case) is the light wire, I guess I can just connect the two?

Old 08-21-16, 06:44 PM
the previous set up has green used at light wire as green was attached to yellow wire at the switch.
That must be corrected.
there are 5 wires coming out of it, a white and red (these are connected to the ceiling wires) on one side and white, blue, black on the other side (these are connected to the fan)
That sounds correct.
You mention the blue wire from the fan is the light wire
That is correct.
if the green wire (in my case) is the light wire, I guess I can just connect the two?
No. The green must not be used. The fan-light blue goes to the remote blue.

Old 08-21-16, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,608 Votes on 1,480 Posts
Your wiring at the ceiling looks correct.

At the switch you have the red switch wire going to black.
What is the black wire connected to..... it looks like a black and possibly a yellow ?
Ray already discussed the incorrect ground on the yellow wire.

I doubt the yellow on the switch is for a three way application as that is a dedicated remote controller for the fan.

Is there a model number associated with the fan or the remote kit ? Hunter ?
Maybe off the switch or receiver ?

Old 08-22-16, 08:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
The yellow on the switch is typically the light, while the red is the fan. The black is the power in.

All the greens should be connected together. I think the issue is the incorrect splice at the switch.

Old 08-22-16, 08:24 AM
H
I agree that the green is the wrong color to use, this was in place before I opened everything up. Would you guys suggest I just cap it off or replace with a different colored wire?

The black wire connected to the red at the switch is hooked up to the black coming from the ceiling, and I believe that the power for the fan motor (red wire at the fan)

The yellow on the switch I believe is the on/off switch for the light as the red on the switch is the on/off for the fan. pcboss is correct.

I hope I clarified enough that you guys could help with the hook up now.
Thanks for your time and help.

Old 08-22-16, 08:33 AM
Group Moderator
I suggest you post the part number for the remote kit or the switch like I previously mentioned.

They make those switches to talk to the receiver over the two power wires which looks like what you have. If that remote was the two switch type..... you would not have a receiver that only connects with two power wires.

Old 08-22-16, 08:48 AM
H
Yes, I will post the part number of the remote kit and switch when I get home.

Old 08-22-16, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
The receivers I have seen all have a wiring diagram on the front.

Old 08-22-16, 05:55 PM
H
The remote kit is made by Chia Wei and the model is FAN-18R. The only number I can find on the switch is 1-20-512-1. I have attached a couple of pictures.Name:  IMG_4466.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  28.3 KBName:  IMG_4467.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  25.2 KB

Old 08-22-16, 06:39 PM
Everything I find shows it coming with a hand held remote. Did that switch at the wall come with it? If that is a switch that was previously there than it should have been removed and either replaced with a toggle switch or no switch.

Old 08-22-16, 07:15 PM
H
Yes, there is a handheld remote. It's a Hampton bay remote, model FAN-HD. The switch at the wall is not part of the remote kit.
Are you saying the switch is the wrong kind of switch?

Old 08-22-16, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... it will not work. It will not interact with the receiver.

Since you only have a pair of wires between the switch and the light.... you can only use a single pole switch to turn everything on or off OR don't use a switch at all and use the wireless remote.

If you had a third wire between the switch and the light.... you could have the switch control the light and the fan only would be controlled from the remote.

Old 08-22-16, 08:56 PM
H
I see. So a 15 Amp Single Pole will work right?
Anyway to check whether the remote works? Maybe using a multi meter?
Thanks.

Old 08-22-16, 10:17 PM
You don't need a switch to test. Just connect power at the switch box directly to the fan feed and test your remote.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: