Occupancy switch install

Old 08-30-16, 02:27 PM
Occupancy switch install

Hi everyone, I need assistance installing an occupancy switch, the existing switch has the light switch in the top and an outlet in the bottom.
The switch only controls 1 light and the outlet is always on regardless of the switch on or off state. I included an image showing the current configuration and the occupancy switch in the right, the cables are coming from 2 different pipes as pictured.
I know i will lose the outlet by installing the new switch but I haven't found an occupancy switch that lets me keep the outlet. How can I wire this? Thanks in advance!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-16, 02:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You may could save the receptacle if you installed a double old work box, moved the receptacle (duplex) to one side and left your occupancy switch on the other side. It appears from the information you give that the red wire and the top black wire are both hot. You need to confirm this. The red wire supplies power to the receptacle while the black wire supplies power to the light. In the event you don't want to incorporate a receptacle, just cap the red wire off, let the white wire go through and use the two black wires on your occupancy switch.

Old 08-30-16, 03:11 PM
Got it! Thanks for the quick reply. I've been using the wrong word "outlet" instead of receptacle as you mentioned, by using that word i just found a combo occupancy switch and looks like i will be able to keep my receptacle. Thanks Chandler!