Safety cover for fluorescent lights?

Old 09-21-16, 06:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Safety cover for fluorescent lights?

I'm looking for product, and I'm not even sure if it exists or what the name is. I help with equipment for a high school colorguard. I noticed that in the closet where they store the flagpoles, flags, etc. there is a bare florescent light on the ceiling. My concern is that in an 8 foot ceiling in a room full of 7 foot long flagpoles being handled by high school students, the chances of breaking the bulb on the florescent light could be pretty good,along with the potential for injury to a student. This closet used to be for long-term storage of the equipment, but the powers that be have decided it's going to be now used on a daily basis.

Is there any protective product – a grill, mesh, whatever?-That is available that could lessen the damage/danger caused by a flagpole hitting the light?
(By the way I requested that the school change the light to a safer one, and was told “we will get right on it”...... that was two years ago.)

As always, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-16, 07:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
They make guarded light fixtures where the guard is part of the fixture. Or, if you simply search the web tons of options come up. They also have bulbs with a shatterproof coating to catch the glass if they should break. As a third option there are sleeves for fluorescent bulbs that will contain glass in case of a breakage.

Old 09-21-16, 07:32 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Would be a big help to have a picture of what you have now.

Old 09-22-16, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane-thanks for the "name". I never thought to try "guard"-I just did, and found a number of options. ("protector" and "cover" got me nowhere). IIRC, the light is not 48 inches I'd guess closer to 36, but it's time to get into the school to measure, and get a closer look.
If necessary, can the wire grates could be trimmed to length? How about the sleeves?

Joe: it is an ordinary single bulb fluorescent fixture, I'm guessing that it is 3 ft. in length, but I'll check.
As always, thank you gentlemen!