Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Lighting, Light Fixtures, Ceiling and Exhaust Fans
Reload this Page >

in GA bought old house old flood lights need replacing and extending around hous

in GA bought old house old flood lights need replacing and extending around hous

Old 09-23-16, 11:08 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

am I legally allowed to do this project in savannah? I just need to add some wired to the existing wire and extend it around the house and install gang boxes and 6 motion lights. dont want an electrician unless I have to have one for this kind of project. thanks!

Old 09-23-16, 11:53 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You need to ask your authority having jurisdiction. Ask the local code compliance office if you need a permit and can pull a home owners permit.

Old 09-23-16, 12:26 PM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks. I did what you said and just need to fill out a form. he said I need to follow the icc irc 2012 edition. any idea what that would entail so that I am following code? There are 3 switches that control each current light separately. my thought was to extend the two side lights by adding wires where the current light is. I am assuming it has to be inside a wet gang box but then just add wire extending outwards around each side of the house so the entire outside has motion lights on it. thanks!

Old 09-23-16, 01:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Hopefully it isn't in Historic Savannah. Rules change. Different world. To extend your cables/wires, you will need to run them in conduit and use a junction box (weather proof) where you join the wires. Cables/wires must be protected. Can you sketch on paper and take a picture of it, posting it so we can see what you have planned? Also, pictures of your current lighting would help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: