Bathroom fan vent questions

Old 09-25-16, 07:01 AM
Bathroom fan vent questions

About a year ago I replaced the old bathroom fan with a new one. The original fan was just vented into the attic. I left it that way because I was planning on installing a new roof and would install a roof vent for the bathroom fan at that time.

This week I had the roof installed along with a vent for the bathroom fan.
Now it seems like the fan isn't pulling like it was.

There is a Flapper at the fan and another Flapper on the roof vent. It seems like the fan is having a difficult time opening both Flappers. The fan was pulling hard before connecting it to the roof vent.

So my question is this: Can I eliminate the Flapper at the fan, or are both Flappers required?

Thanks,
Phil

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-16, 07:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the ceiling flapper is operating properly, eliminating the one at the fan poses no real problem. The main thing you want to do is stop back up, cold air from entering the bathroom. I would have opted to vent it out the gable end, but what is done is done.

Old 09-25-16, 07:37 AM
Thanks Larry,
My home has a hip roof, there is no gable ends. Plus, my home only has an overhang on the front of the house so I think the only option was thru the roof.

Phil

Old 09-25-16, 08:35 AM
Right you are. Sometimes the cards are dealt and we deal with it. Hope it seems to work better after the modification.

Old 09-25-16, 09:05 AM
I would talk to the roofers and ask why they installed a roof cap with a damper. Maybe that's required in your area, I haven't seen it around here.
Normally a wall or roof cap is open or meshed and the damper is attached directly to the fan.
I believe the damper is required at the fan to serve as a fire stop.

Old 09-25-16, 09:45 AM
The fan dampers are plastic, and probably only act to quell the reflux of cold air returning to the room. Too, I question the damper at the top. I would think a mesh covering would have sufficed.

Old 09-25-16, 05:59 PM
The roofer showed me the bathroom fan vent before installing it. It's basically just an aluminum tube (about the same size as the hose coming from the fan) but with a damper and the flashing required to mount it to the roof. I'm assuming he put the vent cap over the actual fan vent for a more uniform look.

So anyway, I think I found my problem, the damper at the fan itself had some hardened dust where it hinges and it wasn't opening all the way.

I was able to get at the damper from inside, so for now I removed it and it seems to be working good. I might just buy a new fan since mine is so dirty. Even the squirrel cage blades were very clogged. I cleaned them too while I had it apart.

Thanks guys!
Phil

Old 09-25-16, 11:49 PM
Philossifer unless you are really sick and tired of how your fan works and how it looks there is a way to save both some money and some work. Most of those bathroom fans are made by Nutone and Nutone still makes parts even for their oldest bathroom fans. Most of the time you can get those parts at an electric supply store just look inside the fan with a flash light and you should be able to see the model number and serial number. I would wright both down and then go to the electric supply store and order the fan motor as I doubt they stock it. Sure beats going into the attic!