Porch light issues

Old 10-03-16, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch light issues

My porch light started acting weird some time ago... it stopped working at the flip of the switch. Replaced bulb, no luck. I noticed that at night the bulb is flickering ever so lightly whether the switch is on or off.

Today I got around to tinkering with it. The white & black wires only show between 20-30VAC. I tested a standard outlet to ensure my meter was correct and it is.

This doesn't seem right. How else can I test to identify the problem?

Thank you all for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-16, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do you have a neon switch? Meaning you can see it in the dark? They let a small amount of current pass through in order to ignite the neon, and the cfl lights will flicker slightly. How did you measure the voltage? The correct way would have been from hot to ground, or neutral if available. Touching the two screws of a switch doesn't give you a voltage reading

Old 10-03-16, 02:39 PM
Hi, there are 2 switches to it, one is illuminated. They worked in a fashion before where either switch would cut it on and off.

For testing, I removed the light and measured the black and white wires feeding the light, which was 20-30VAC.

Old 10-03-16, 03:51 PM
As I was tinkering with it... the light actually came on a couple of times & heard the illuminated switch popping... I'm guessing my problem is there? I measured at the switch & have a solid 115 VAC... bouncing 20-30 on the wires outside.

Old 10-03-16, 04:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yeah, with the switch exhibiting those conditions, I would change the switch out.