Wires coming out of wall

Old 10-04-16, 03:58 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wires coming out of wall

Upon replacing my oven exhaust hood, with fan and light etc I came across the electrical wires coming out of a hole in the wall. My dad said to just leave it and install my new fan same way the old one was but I do not think that is all safe. I temporarily mounted a gang box on the stud outside the wall and capped all wires and put cover on it for now. My question I guess is there any suggestions or ideas on what I should do with these wires? The house is old and some of the stuff I have found is scary the way people used to do things.

Attached Images   
Old 10-04-16, 04:36 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
The metal box built into the range hood becomes your junction box there is no need for one in the wall.
If you where going to leave them hanging out of the wall for some reason temporarily all you needed to do was use a wire nut on each wire. (ground does not need one)

Old 10-04-16, 05:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,180 Upvotes on 1,950 Posts
The wires you mentioned and show in your photo. Are they the wires feeding your exhaust hood or are they "mystery" wires you found when the old hood was removed?

Another area of concern is the duct for your vent hood. Flexible plastic duct is not permitted. My inspectors will not even allow flexible aluminum duct. It must be smooth galvanized steel. Flexible ducting has a lot of nooks and crannies to collect grease which can cause a fire. And, aluminum and plastic flexible ducting cannot contain a fire should it occur.

Old 10-04-16, 07:30 AM
Like Joe said, bringing the cable into the rear of the new vent hood directly is fine (preferred).
They were designed to accept a cable directly into the rear or top. Use a romex strain relief clamp and the ground gets connected directly to the frame using the ground screw.

Old 10-05-16, 12:22 AM
C
Yes I see the punch out now for cables. The ones in wall though are loose and not even stapled to a stud or fastened to anything in wall of up in ceiling. As far as the exhaust duct it is not plastic but flexible metal yes and it only runs about 5 feet or so to outside This is a older house and lots inside like the ducts and wiring is not quite up to code. My uncle says you can still have things the old way as they are grandfathered so to speak. I'll have to check what canada code says about the duxt etc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: