Hampton Bay ceiling fan issue

Old 11-08-16, 02:17 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My ceiling fan works with a wall switch and/or remote, and a reverse direction switch (NOT A PULL CHAIN) in the motor housing (it's a button on top of the motor housing). The fan works great using the wall switch or remote. The fan direction is currently set to the warm (left) setting and has never been set to the cool (right) setting until recently. When I started the fan it did not turn. I could hear a faint motor hum on high/medium/low, but the blades will not turn. (The light still works.)

I've tried all of the suggestions I could find online: reset all dip switches on the wall/remote/receiver, reset circuit breaker several times, checked wiring, tried to start the fan by manually turning blades first and then turning on the remote, which produced an intermittent hum but no actual fan start. The light works no matter which position the reverse switch is in.

The fan is currently in the ceiling bracket, but not securely attached to the ceiling. I'm pretty committed to trying to find out a fix to this issue I personally can do since I've spent so much time on researching it. So my first QUESTION is: in order to look at the wiring of the reverse switch on top of the motor housing DO I HAVE TO TAKE THE ENTIRE FAN DOWN FIRST IN ORDER CHECK OUT THIS DEVICE???

Since all features work correctly except the reverse switch, my thinking the wiring to it is wrong or the switch is bad unless there is some other solution I haven't tried yet.

Here's the info on my specific fan:

Hampton Bay Vercelli 52" fan
UL Model # 700-277
Serial # 000017
UPC 718212440780

Old 11-08-16, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,880 Upvotes on 3,477 Posts
The switch could be bad, it could be miswired or you could have a capacitor issue.
Unfortunately there are no schematics printed or supplied for ceiling fans.

Since that is Home Depot's house brand... you can contact them directly for help.

Old 11-08-16, 04:59 PM
C
Received 166 Upvotes on 134 Posts
First thing I would try is to move the switch back and forth several times from forward to reverse. The slide switches they use are notorious for getting corrosion on the contacts over time; moving it back and forth may clean the contacts enough to restore operation.

Old 11-09-16, 12:43 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all of you for your replies about my fan issue. I have indeed tried switching the reverse button back/forth at least a dozen times and it still didn't work.

I especially like the response saying a little project usually turns into a major project.....that is the story of my life with just about all of my "small" easy projects.

Does anyone know if you have to take the fan down in order to get to the reverse switch? It is such a pain to undo all the wiring much less lift it off the bracket, for which I will have to call in a repair. Home Depot was of no help to me.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-16, 03:02 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Doubt it is repairable. Just replace the fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: