Loud POP with 3 way dimmer

Old 11-11-16, 11:23 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Loud POP with 3 way dimmer

I turned my kitchen light on one night and it made a loud pop. The next day I replaced the bulb (this time with LED as it was the only dimmable bulb I could find) and it worked but very dim. 120 volts still got to the fixture per my meter.

To troubleshoot, I changed the fixture to a single hanging bulb and still dim. Eventually I replaced the dimmer switch and it worked fine. Changed the fixture back to the original and when I turned it on, again a loud pop. This time the bulb remains on, and very bright, but I can't dim it.

Is the dimmer basically just a regular switch now and safe to use like this? Or is there a problem remaining?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-11-16, 11:42 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The next day I replaced the bulb (this time with LED as it was the only dimmable bulb I could find) and it worked but very dim.
It can be a crap shoot matching a dimmer and an LED even if it says dimmable. A good test is always to try an incandescent bulb.
I turned my kitchen light on one night and it made a loud pop.
A bulb burning out can cause a surge that fries the electronics in a dimmer. A good test is to try a regular (non dimmable) switch.
Is the dimmer basically just a regular switch now and safe to use like this?
Probably. Worse case it burns out completely.
is there a problem remaining
The original problem was probably a surge when the original bulb burned out.

Old 11-13-16, 03:00 PM
R
Thanks for the response, Ray.

I thought I better be safe and change the dimmer switch out with a simple switch instead. It worked for a full day of use like this and then today I turned it on again and POP, same thing. The light still works, none of the bulbs burned out, but I really don't feel good about the popping.

Since it's not the switch (I made sure there weren't any bare wires by taping over everything before inserting the new one into the wall) and that shouldn't make any difference with dimmable bulb compatibility, then I guess it's the light fixture?

Why is there a problem with that all of a sudden, especially if the bulbs aren't burning out, there shouldn't be any surge as suggested was the original problem.

Frustrated...

Old 11-13-16, 03:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Check the tab in the center of the lamp holder is bent up enough. Redo all connections at the light with new wire nuts.

Old 11-13-16, 03:13 PM
R
I can certainly re-do all of the connections, but I'm not sure what tab you are referring to. I can't think of anything that can be bent up.

Old 11-13-16, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Middle of light socket there is a medal tab. It can get bent down after use. Just pull it up a little.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: