Led equivalences, do they just make this up?

Old 11-16-16, 01:41 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Led equivalences, do they just make this up?

So I went to the store today and saw a Philips brand MR16 LED on the shelf. The box said 50w replacement , 380lm. RIGHT NEXT TO THAT BOX was a Philips brand 50w MR16 bulb and if you turned it over on the back it said 730lm.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-16, 02:32 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I only look at the equivalencies to get started, I ultimately choose the bulb based on lumens (and temperature, but you didn't ask about that...).

Old 11-16-16, 02:59 PM
Just a guess, but I've had trouble in the past identifying which MR16 bulbs are low voltage or 120V.
The packaging might not make it clear.

Old 11-16-16, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,038 Votes on 962 Posts
I've had trouble in the past identifying which MR16 bulbs are low voltage or 120V.
Exactly.... and some of the low voltage LED replacements have higher light output as they don't have a driver inside to overheat.

Old 11-17-16, 07:28 AM
G
MR16 can be purchased in specific light beam angles, ranging from 10 to 60. Several different angles are available.
10 is a very narrow spot, 60 is a wide flood.
50 watt 10 will have a higher lumen output than a 50 watt 60, because all the light in concentrated into the 10 angle.

If you want to push the light from the ground to the top of a two story house, use a narrow spot.
If you're backlighting a small tree, use a wide flood.
Another example is lighting art work. Different degree light beams can be used to light the artwork without lighting the surrounding area.

Most manufactures supply a chart showing the Photometric Data, which will show lumens at difference distances and beam spreads.
Look at the chart mid-way down this web page. You'll see the lumen output for different beam angles. Toward the bottom you'll see the Photometric Data charts.

Last edited by Greg Barringer; 11-17-16 at 07:44 AM.