CFL Wattage question

Old 11-19-16, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
CFL Wattage question

I installed a light pendant (hanging lamp) and it says use either standard bulb no more than 60 watts or CFL 13 watt bulb. However, I can't hardly find any 13 watt CFL bulbs but plenty of 14 watt CFL bulbs. Can I safely use a 14 watt CFL bulb even though it may be 1 watt over the spec? Do these wattage specs have some tolerance built in them? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-16, 07:56 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
The standard 60 watt rating is the important reference. They were just estimating the wattage for an equivalent CFL that would provide the same or similar illumination. Actually, the better choice would now be an LED bulb, similar in wattage to the CFL but instant on and it will last many more years. You may also have a choice in color temperature a detail we all will be learning as the LEDs become more popular. IMO, CFLs are not a good choice.

Bud

Old 11-19-16, 08:08 PM
Thanks, Bud. The reason why I ask is because I have a surplus of 14 watt CFL bulbs. I did have a 10 watt LED bulb for the lighting fixture, but it blew for some reason when we had some flickering power in the house due to a utilities issue. So I just wanted to get rid of the surplus CFLs, so using the 14 watt CFL would be ok given the standard 60 watt reference?

Old 11-19-16, 09:26 PM
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
Is the bulb enclosed by the fixture and pointed down?

CFLs (and also LEDs) give off some heat and, in an enclosed fixture, that heat may be enough to noticeably shorten the life of the bulb even though the heat is far less than an incandescent bulb gives off.

Old 11-20-16, 09:32 PM
Bulb is pointed down and enclosed around the sides, but open at the bottom. About 2-3 inch gap between the bulb and the glass enclosure (again, open at the bottom). Thanks.