Installing outdoor fixture.

Old 11-25-16, 04:54 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing outdoor fixture.

Hello everyone. I want to put a new fixture on the outside wall of my house for the backyard at night. My exterior is the old cement style stucco so Id prefer not to make a huge hole in it but what works best to drill through it and install a simple pancake box. Would I run a wire under the siding or facia/sofit to side door light? If so what wire would be best for outdoor? There is a exterior receptacle about 4 feet below where I would put the fixture, I could just use a extension cord set up, or can you use the flexible metal conduit wire? Also would a outdoor timer, photocell or motion sensor be best? Just looking for some ideas to start. Ripping into wall and major work cannot reallybe done so simple and safe yet effectve is what I would prefer, I just havent done alot of work outside besides fixtures above doors etc. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-25-16, 06:51 PM
C
Received 166 Upvotes on 134 Posts
I think first you should decide how you want the light to work. Always on from dusk to dawn? Controlled by an internal switch? Only on when there is motion close to it?

Normally, for an external light, you also have an inside switch to control it. That gives you a place for a timer if that's what you want, or a manual control switch. Even if you have it on a motion sensor, it's handy to have an inside switch because the motion sensor can be overridden and turned on manually with a quick off and on flip of the switch.

Of course, adding an inside switch complicates the installation if you don't have one now.

Extension cords are for temporary use, so running one down to the outlet below would not be a good solution.

You could add a box extender to the outlet and run PVC conduit up to a weatherproof surface box for the light. That would probably be the easiest install, but doesn't give you an internal switch so you would be limited to a photocell or motion sensor. Plus, most folks don't like conduit running up their outside walls if it can be avoided.

If you have access to the soffit area from the attic, that gives you more options.

Old 11-25-16, 09:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was mulling over some options I had for making it happen. I did think of alot of the same things you suggested also. I should post a picture tomorrow with location of doorway and the existing fixture where a switch is located and where I would like the new one installed and that may help. My other idea was to just to extend or daisy chain down the side of house from existing fixture on side of house. Then they could both be controlled from same switch etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: