Help! Ceiling Lighting Fixture

Old 12-03-16, 09:17 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help! Ceiling Lighting Fixture

So, to start off going into this all I knew was there was a ceiling fan hanging and now there isn't but I need to install a plain flush mounted light. Here's what I have:
gang box that has 4 wires coming into it, 3 of 4 wires have a black and white wire, the 4th wire has 2 sets of black and white wires. It looks like all the grounds have been tied together. However, I tested the ground and the system is not grounded. This is an older home. Any how. I have no idea how to wire this thing. Here's what Ive figured out: one set is input power, one set of wires goes to a switch on the wall(pressumably for the fixture that will be hanging), another set goes to the overhead range above the stove, I believe another set goes to the chandelier in the room because I disconnected all the wires and the chandelier no longer came on and there was some continuity there, the fifth set I have no idea what it goes to. Here's what I did: wire nutted all the blacks together and then all the whites and kept that unknown pair wire butted together. Also connected the light fixture black and whites to the other black and whites. Turned back on the breaker. Light comes on when the switch is off, flip the switch to the on position and breaker trips. I uninstalled the light, breaker still trips when the switch is flipped. And that's where I'm currently at. What's the 5th set of wires for?! Is that why the breaker is tripping when that one switch is flipped? The chandelier light switch works just fine and so does the stove range light. Just the one switch for that actual fixture is causing problems. Help! Please.

Last edited by Andrealgaines; 12-03-16 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Mispelled
Old 12-03-16, 09:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,892 Upvotes on 3,489 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If you have bare wire grounds in the box..... you have two wire with ground NM (romex) type wiring.

So 3) two wire cables makes sense.
One cable with two blacks and whites does not make any sense. That would suggest a conduit into the box..... or is it possibly a twin connector with two cables ?

We need a picture of that wiring. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Ultimately what you have is a two wire switch loop. That is a cable with black and white that goes to the switch. The white wire will be the hot wire to the switch and the black will be the switched hot wire coming back. Since you have this cable currently connected across your power cables.... when the switch is turned on.... the white and black are shorted together. The white wire should be recolored red or blue at both ends so that this problem doesn't happen again.

Name:  switchloop.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  13.3 KB

Old 12-03-16, 09:53 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I wish this circuit was that simple, but it doesn't seem like it since there are 10 wires at play here.
4 cables coming into box:
2 wires from switch (black and white)
2 wires from range above stove (black and white)
2 wires to ???? (black and white)
2 wires tied to other lighting circuitry in same space(black and white) SAME CABLE
2 wires power in (black and white) SAME CABLE)
Name:  IMG_0955.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  45.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0956.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  47.5 KB
Name:  IMG_0959.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  27.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0957.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  40.2 KB

There used to be a ceiling fan hanging. Now there is not. I am only installing a flush mount fixture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: