Replace smoke detector w/sensor light ??

Old 12-04-16, 04:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replace smoke detector w/sensor light ??

Previous Owner(s) Did Some Home Reno's with No Thought to where certain Electrical Outlets or Boxes were located.. We've had problems with a Smoke Detector in the Direct Line of Fire if you will almost hovering over the kitchen Oven & Stove Top.. The Smoke Detector is Wired Directly to the Panel , 2nd Smoke Detector is located downstairs by a Basement Bedroom.. We've installed a new battery powered S/D in the Hallway.. The S/D had a Black , Red , With Yellow - Green Strip in the middle.... There was a small red indicator light to show that their is Power to the S/D...

I have a Ceiling Mounted Sensor Light we'd like to put in it's Place.. The S/L has the same Black, Red, Yellow - Green Strip pattern.. Connecting them in the same sequence, when I connected the Red the Sensor Light gave off a faint glow.. Then Yellow Green Wire, lastly when I connected the Black the Sensor Light shined Bright..

My Question , when I connected the 1st wire should I have gotten a faint shine from the S/L ?? Thoughts & Opinions Appreciated, Cheers Thanks

Old 12-04-16, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
I'm not familiar with Canada wiring but I was under the impression that your wiring is similar to ours. The previous owners not doing things correctly makes me want to check everything before doing and wiring. The first thing I would do is check the voltage. Black and red tells me that this might be a 240-volt circuit.

To answer your question, no, you should not have seen any glow from the light as the circuit was not complete with only one wire connected. (not counting ground. Green with yellow stripe)

Old 12-05-16, 12:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,973 Upvotes on 3,566 Posts
AC powered battery backup smoke detectors are interconnected with three wires.
Black - hot
White - neutral
Red - interconnect sounder...... not 120v.

To really be of more help we need to know the make and models of what you are working with.

Old 12-05-16, 05:53 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sensor Light...

@ Pjmax... The Sensor Light is an LED Ceiling Light purchased off Amazon.ca.. The Smoke Detector is from Dicon Systems Limited / Toronto,On... The 3 prong plug from the S/D was Marrited into the Grounded Junction Box.. I removed the 3 prong wire , the Sensor Light came in 2 pieces .. The Base mounts to the wall with the Relay and a 3 alligator clip box , I placed the 3 wires in the same sequence they were in the Smoke Detector.. The Cover has an LED circle light pattern inside it with the male end to the alligator plug..

@ Tolyn Ironhand... The House Wiring is Ok, Yes Codes have Changed since the House was originally Built in the mid 70's.. We've done our share of Reno's through the years and have learned to make things Uniform.. Long before Mike Holmes, Bryan Baumler, or Jim Kurek & HGTV...lol... It does amaze me the surprises we find from a previous Reno Attempt.. Removing Walls or Relocating the Support , Even building over..lol...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: