How to install rectangular chandelier

Old 12-10-16, 05:59 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to install rectangular chandelier

I recently purchased a Bella Rectangular Chandelier from Pottery Barn and am having a difficult time figuring out the install in my first floor dining room (no ceiling access from above). The chandelier weighs 86. It is ~4' long and has two suspension chains the go straight up from either end of the chandelier to a canopy bar (rather than converge to a central point). The canopy bar is affixed to the central jbox. The install instructions neglect to show that on the upper side of the canopy bar (the side facing the ceiling) there are 6" cables (ending in a j-hook) attached to the opposite side of canopy bar from the suspension chains, seemingly to support the weight of the chandelier. These cables are unadjustable in length and cannot be removed(without cutting the cable).

The ceiling joists are oriented parallel to the direction I want to install the long axis of the chandelier. Finally, the current jbox is a shallow one and is affixed directly under the joist. It looks like the original owners at one point had moved the jbox 2" from its original position(affixed to the side of the joist) to directly under the joist. I'd like to center the chandelier back to the original position (the actual center of the room), where the new jbox will be offset but adjacent to the joist.

So, my problem is how to install the cables that appear to be necessary to support the weight of the chandelier. The instructinos make it seem as if the weight of the chandelier bar (and hence then entire chandelier) can be supported from just the jbox, but the canopy bar doesn't appear to be reinforced to do so (did I mention the chandelier is 86#?)

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if you're familiar with this particular fixture. Thank you!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-16, 06:57 AM
C
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would install a retrofit ceiling fan box with expandable brace for the center jbox. The brace can be inserted through the hole and expanded to tightly grip between the joists. You don't need access from above. Obviously you will have to move to the side of the joist to do this, but you were planning that anyway.

I would use toggle type sheetrock anchors to support each end the bar.

According to the web page, the chains can be shortened, so there must be a way to pull the excess cable up through the bars.

Old 12-10-16, 07:24 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The chandelier weighs 86.
Was that a typo? Can you post pictures of the cables where they go through the canopy bar? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html