Views: 238
Size:  25.7 KBName:  IMG_7697.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  14.0 KBName:  IMG_7698.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  30.7 KBName:  IMG_7701.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  35.9 KB

Hi - new to the world of being an electrician and it has frustrated me to say the least. Please see images I have uploaded for reference.

Problem - bathroom contains two 2-way switches and a two prong outlet. Prior to replacing switches, the outlet did not work, but the switches worked fine. Light turned on and fan turned on.

Action took - I decided to replace all of the items because they were old. At first i replaced the 2 way switches with 3 way switches and then the outlet. Turn breaker back on and test out everything. The outlet now works and the fan switch works.

Next action - I figured maybe because I used 3 way switches that caused the issue so I swapped the 3 ways with new 2 way switches. Still the same results. I then tested the power going to the light fixture (see photos) and when the switch is off (tester is green) switch is on (tester is red). I changed bulbs just to be check and still nothing.

I'm using 15 amp switches/outlet which match the breaker. The switch in the middle is the fan, right is the light.

How do I troubleshoot further? I'm just confused how the second i change switches the light fixture doesn't work so I don't believe its the fixture. too much of a coincidence. Help please!!!

Thanks,
Ben

Old 12-10-16, 02:29 PM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
It's hard to tell what you are doing,2 way switches then change 2 way switches to 3 way,first off 2 way switches are SINGLE POLE SWITCHES,not sure why you would change them to 3 ways,anyway you will need to find the feed conductor which would be the wire on the switch that is looped around that screw,that wire should go to 1 terminal on each switch,and to the brass terminal on the line side of the GFCI receptacle,through the non contact tester away and get an anolog voltmeter for more accurate testing.
One other thing,when you wrap the wire around the terminal screw it should be so it will tighten around the screw as you tighten CW.

Old 12-10-16, 02:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
new to the world of being an electrician and it has frustrated me to say the least.
I can imagine if that is a non contact tester in the pictures. They are useless for real testing.

decided to replace all of the items because they were old. At first i replaced the 2 way switches with 3 way switches and then the outlet.
No such thing as 2-way switches. If you mean a regular switch that has on/off printed on it you can't swap it out for a 3-way switch without adding new wiring.

You need to identify which cable is power in by disconnecting each cable and measuring between the black and white of each cable using a multimeter (or neon test light or a solenoid voltage tester.) (A non contact tester won't work.)The cable that reads 120 volts is power in
  • Connect three pigtails to the black of the power in.
  • One pigtail to the brass side of the receptacle.
  • The two remaining pigtails one to each switch.
You should have two cables that are not power in. They are load.
  • One load black to the remaining terminal on the left switch.
  • Other load black to the right hand switch.
  • All whites connected together.
  • Grounds connected per code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: