Recessed Lights Randomly Flash

Old 12-17-16, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recessed Lights Randomly Flash

I recently purchased a 50 year old house. Before moving in I replaced recessed lights in the kitchen ceiling with LED retrofits, so I'm not sure if this issue was preexisting or might be related to the LED lights. There are a total of 9 lights, with 4 on one switch and 5 on the other. The group of 4 lights randomly flash, that is all 4 will turn off for a split second and then are back on. They never flicker rapidly, and the flashing is completely random, sometimes happening several times a minute and other times not happening for half an hour or more. All 4 turn off and on together. Both sets of lights are on the same type of dimmer switch. I've poked around and have been unable to find any loose connections, and the lack of flickering has me suspecting something else. Any idea what could be causing this? Is it possible the dimmer switch is defective?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-16, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
First thing you could try is replacing the dimmer switch with a standard switch and see if that fixes the issue. It is possible the dimmer is going bad or it is not a LED rated dimmer.

Old 12-17-16, 07:06 AM
I just had this issue with a new chandelier with LED screw in bulbs. Removing the dimmer fixed the flash. The lighting supplier gave me four different dimmers to try, including ones supplied by the bulb manufacturer's factory rep. They all flashed.
Buying different bulbs by a different manufacturer fixed it.

Old 12-17-16, 09:25 AM
I switched out the dimmer with an identical one on a less used light in the house. I believe it's an LED rated dimmer because the same dimmer works fine on the other set of LED retrofits. The only differences between them is that the working set has 5 fixtures instead of 4 and is wired in a 3 way switch configuration.

It's been 1/2 an hour and no flashing yet, but it's so random I'm still not certain that was the issue. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-24-16, 12:05 PM
Well, it's been a week with no flashing so I think it's safe to say the dimmer was the culprit. Thanks for the responses guys!

Old 12-25-16, 06:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.