Wiring Question - Power Source to Fixture

Old 12-29-16, 07:19 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring Question - Power Source to Fixture

I am trying to move an outlet in one of my bathrooms. The initial outlet was in the middle of the wall above our newly installed vanity, and thus, a mirror was not able to be put up. Therefore, I am moving the outlet next to the switch, and trying to wire the switch to control both the outlet, as well as the fixture, but am having some issues.

The power source is coming through the light fixture, at which point, I am connecting the hot wire to a wire nut with two additional wires (one going to the switch, and one going to the line side of the GFCI outlet). This is the same process I am doing with the neutral wire as well. The result is that the switch will power the light fixture, however, the outlet only comes on when the switch is off. I was hoping someone here would have some input on what I am doing wrong. If pictures are needed please let me know and I can snap a few.

Thanks

Old 12-29-16, 07:50 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The power source is coming through the light fixture
If you mean power comes in at the light then if you have only a two conductor cable (black, white) to the switch you have no neutral (just hot in and hot out) at the switch and you don't have power for a receptacle.

Old 12-30-16, 07:53 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
If the power is at the fixture you will need a 3 wire between it and the switch,you could then have the receptacle live all the time and only switch the light.Red wire would connect to one side of the switch and the light fixture while the black would connect to the other side of the switch and receptacle,white would connect to the receptacle,someone else maybe able to post a drawing of this as I have been unable to figure out how to do that.
HNY!
Geo

Old 12-30-16, 08:06 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The unused cable can't be left behind the mirror unless it is disconnected on both ends. Does the cable come from an unfinished attic above or basement below? If so you got lucky. You can place a new junction box in attic or basement to feed power to your new receptacle.

If not we have more work. Let us know. If the cable comes from below but not an unfinished space there is still hope because it can be accessed from the cabinet so it can be terminated. Then we just need a source for the new receptacle. Replacing the switch loop cable as suggested by Geo may then be the way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: