Unexpected find inside light fixture -- is this right?

Old 01-06-17, 05:26 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unexpected find inside light fixture -- is this right?

Hi. Long time since I've been here. I bought a 3-bulb light fixture (photo 1) on craigslist. Got home to install it, and when I opened up the wire box, I found that there were two cables inside, instead of just one (the one on the right in photo 1), which I would connect to the power source.

As you can see in close-up photos 2 and 3, that second cable (on the left) is connected to the grounding screw. Not only have I never come across such a thing, I would think it is just plain wrong (and dangerous)...right? BUT...it seems intentional, as indicated by the circular endpoint (photo 4).

Bottom line...how do I wire this at the ceiling box? (Secondarily, it would be great to get a brief explanation of what I''m seeing). Thanks much!

Attached Images     
Old 01-06-17, 06:03 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Never seen one quite like that so these are only my assumptions. The light bar hangs from the sheathed cables so both sides must "appear" identical. The left cable is not connected to anything inside the light bar & is only there as physical support. "Perhaps" the mfr. put the hot & neutral wires on a lug to prevent the installer from making an electrical connection to them.

This may have all been explained in the instruction sheet that originally came with the fixture.

Old 01-06-17, 06:30 AM
Received 96 Votes on 89 Posts
Where is the UL or some other testing agency label?
Geo

Old 01-06-17, 06:38 AM
G
Originally Posted by Geo
Where is the UL or some other testing agency label?
Looks like this may a "CE" logo. Does that help?

Name:  Wire4_1.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  26.5 KB

Old 01-06-17, 08:04 AM
S
Received 26 Votes on 18 Posts
Looks more like an ETL Intertek logo. CE isn't a testing lab, but Intertek is. https://www.osha.gov/dts/otpca/nrtl/nrtllist.html

Any possibility of getting a clearer picture of the labels in the middle? Perhaps something that hints at a manufacturer or model number to look online for manuals?

Old 01-06-17, 08:27 AM
A
This is all the labeling that is included: Name:  Wire5.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  24.1 KB

Old 01-06-17, 08:57 AM
A
OK, problem solved. That suggestion to post the labels helped. I did not realize that the "EGLO" as seen in the last photo is the product label. So a search on the internet led to a lighting products company by that name. I called up their support and the woman told me what guy48065 first surmised---that it is a false cable.

Incidentally, she said an instruction manual would be available on the HomeDepot site, and going their (search on 20964A) revealed my biggest joy...the light fixture is listed as retailing for $159...and I paid $11 for it! (And BTW, the instruction manual---or page is more like it---has no mention of that secondary cable).

Thanks all!

Old 01-07-17, 06:01 AM
G
guy48065

Yay team!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: