How to daisy chain ceiling fan off 3-way switch?

Old 01-23-17, 07:11 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to daisy chain ceiling fan off 3-way switch?

I helped a friend put a new ceiling fan in a room and ran the electrical wiring to a switch box that had two existing light switches in it.I had planned on daisy chaining the wire from one of the light switches in there.
I cut out the sheet rock to put in a three gang box and got everything ready then realized that the other two switches were both three way switches.
The switches are at the end of the line, so I have two hot wires of which only one is hot at any given time.

I connected the ceiling fan to one of the hot wires on the 3-way, and everything works. But if I flip the switch that is connected closet to the line source, then it shuts off the ceiling fan.
Is there an easy way to connect a ceiling fan to a 3-way switch where I have an "always-on hot wire"?

My setup is similar to this.
Incoming-Power--->3-way-switch--->3-way-switch--->Ceiling-Fan-switch

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-17, 07:41 AM
B
Here is a really basic wiring diagram. Sorry for the poor MS Paint skills.
3-way Switch 1 is on one wall.
3-Way Switch 2 & Ceiling Fan switch are in the same gang box.
The dashed line represents the "jumper" wires.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 3739
Size:  12.3 KB

Old 01-23-17, 08:36 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If the box contains only switched power inputs then no. You need to run a constant hot to the fan and use a switch loop. Note since this is a new instillation switch loop should be 3-conductor not 2-conductor in order to comply with 2011 and later code that requres a neutral in the switch box even if not needed.

Old 01-23-17, 08:55 AM
B
This is possibly a stupid question, and I am sure someone will call me on it if it is. I do not want to create an unsafe condition or violate any codes.
What would happen if I connected both the red and black hot wires to the same screw post on the fan switch?
It would always have power and I dont think it would create a condition where the light bulb was always-on from either of the switches.
I think when someone switches the light bulb on/off, the fan light would flicker as power went from one wire to the other.

Again, I am thinking that it looks like it would work on paper, but curious if I would create a condition where the house burns down.

This is what I am thinking.Name:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 1253
Size:  12.1 KB

Old 01-23-17, 10:38 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Change the wiring the switches no longer work as intended. You need a constant hot cable. No way around it.
I helped a friend put a new ceiling fan in a room
Did you put in a fan rated box?

At this point it is time to apologize to your friend and suggest [s]he hire an electrician. Maybe offer to pay part of the cost.

Old 01-23-17, 10:59 AM
B
Do you mean a fan rated ceiling box? I bought a fan rated SafT bar that was mounted between two ceiling joists. I will go ahead and find an electrician to run a new circuit from the breaker.
Thanks for your help.

Old 01-23-17, 11:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 87 Votes on 74 Posts
The box sounds fine. The circuit does not need to go back to the panel. A lighting circuit nearby should work.