Extension cord to Switch to light?

Old 01-28-17, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extension cord to Switch to light?

Alrighty,
So I just acquiesced a new shop to conduct all of my evil schemes. The only problem is that this small work area has no lighting and only 1 120v outlet. Not to worry as I only run one power tool at a time.
My question is how would I successfully cut an extension cord, install an inline switch and then wire that to a light socket?

How I have it wired now is, The hot wire from the plug is attached to one side of the switch, the neutral is run straight to the light socket and the ground is linked to the ground to the light socket and connected to the ground on the switch. Leaving the hot wire to socket which is connected to the other side of the switch. (see crude crude picture attached)

Now when I eliminate the switch everything works great, but the second wire the switch back in, I trip the breaker.

All of my experience is in the DC universe so this is a little foreign to me.

What, friends, what am I doing wrong?Name:  switch.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  15.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-17, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
My question is how would I successfully cut an extension cord, install an inline switch and then wire that to a light socket?
You shouldn't. Extension cords are for temporary use and not rated for house wiring. You need to install a hardwired switch and light.

It sounds like your wiring is correct. Is this how you wired it?

Name:  x_zpsf2797b23.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  14.6 KB

Old 01-28-17, 05:38 PM
Thank you for your quick and knowledgeable response. This is why I came here! So, Would it be feasible to acquire some of the proper gauge solid wire and wire this the same way? with a male socket to receive the power input? I know this seems very mickey mouse, but I don't have much to work with and I'm all out of duct tape.

Old 01-28-17, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are the walls finished or open? Is the ceiling finished or open? Is the light and receptacle over the bench?

Old 01-28-17, 05:50 PM
Bare walls, Bare ceiling, It's a pretty exposed and open area. Rafters and studs are exposed. The light is overhead, mid-bench, and the switch is going to be mounted to the bench leg.