Replacing fancy fan/light switch

Old 02-03-17, 03:38 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing fancy fan/light switch

I have a ceiling fan that is controlled by the switches in the picture below. It's a fairly fancy switch. When you hold down "light" it dims and brightens the light. When you hold down "fan" it changes the speed and the ceiling fan gives an audible beeping sound at each speed.

The problem is that the lights are starting to flicker. Once or twice all of the lights have gone completely out. So I'm guessing that the switch is going as this has happened before on a basic light switch of mine and when I replaced the light switch the light worked fine and was flicker free.

My question is, can I replace it with this: Lutron Skylark 1.5 Amp Single-Pole 3-Speed Slide-to-Off Fan and Light Control - White-SFSQ-LFH-WH - The Home Depot

I do not want a dimable light. I want to be able to put in simple LED lights and I want to be able to control the fan speed. But I'm worried that there might be tons of extra wires given the current setup since it has three switches on it and all those functions. I've replaced basic switches and changed dimmers to regular switches, but nothing as elaborate as this.

Name:  2017-02-03 18.19.41.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  41.2 KB

Old 02-03-17, 03:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It would seem you could use the switch to which you referred. The basics of your present switch allow you to preset the fan and light and just turn the power on and off. You don't need that switch, which leads you to the wiring for the fan slider and solid light switch. Once you get your new switch, post a picture of the present switch with it pulled from the box and cover off so we can help you with wiring the new one.

Old 02-03-17, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I doubt you can change controls. Casablanca fans DO NOT play well with others.

You are describing an "in wall" control that connects thru the power wiring to the controller in the fan.

We're going to need the part number off the old control or the model number off the fan.

Old 02-03-17, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Did not know that about Casablanca.

Old 02-03-17, 03:58 PM
I
Looked all over the fan for model number and didn't see a visible sticker below or atop it. I will post back when I have time tomorrow to turn off power and pull the control to find part number. Thanks!

Old 02-03-17, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Casablanca is one of the most expensive fans on the market. Good quality but they've always done things differently. LED's on one of their "incandescent only" controllers will blow it out instantly.

Old 02-03-17, 04:06 PM
I
Thanks PJ. After doing some reading online it looks like one company said that if the switch is acting up it is most likely the circuit board and not the switch. I'm not a huge fan of how the light looks so maybe I will just get a new ceiling fan all together. They have discontinued this switch and the switch that came after this one which leads me to believe it's a fairly old fan.

My question would be, I should be able to easily install a regular ceiling fan and light switch with existing wiring right? Or were you suggesting before that different wires were run for this elaborate fan and switch?

Old 02-03-17, 04:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Here is the part, pretty pricey
https://www.fixmycasablancafan.com/p...wall-controls/
there is a note that they will test switch for free.

Old 02-03-17, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Without looking up the technical details I'm pretty sure there are only two wires between the switch and the fan.

You could buy a new fan that used a wireless handheld control. In that case.... you could put a regular switch in the wall to turn the fan AND light power on. Not terribly effective.

There are some newer fans that work the same way your Casablanca worked with an in-wall control that operated the fan thru the existing power wiring.

If the fan is in decent shape there are people that buy them.

Old 02-03-17, 04:32 PM
I
So if there are just two wires then I can't replace the fan and use the switch in the link below? The casablanca switch is the only one in the room so I would have thought it's the existing wiring for the house and not special wiring for the casablanca. I'm not interested in an in-wall fancy control. Just a basic switch and dimmer OR could I do a switch that turns on the light and then just a pull chain that controls the fan? That I would be fine with.

Lutron Skylark 1.5 Amp Single-Pole 3-Speed Slide-to-Off Fan and Light Control - White-SFSQ-LFH-WH - The Home Depot

Old 02-05-17, 09:52 AM
I
PJ did you see this post below? I think I should be okay or might be okay with regular switch and fan pull?

So if there are just two wires then I can't replace the fan and use the switch in the link below? The casablanca switch is the only one in the room so I would have thought it's the existing wiring for the house and not special wiring for the casablanca. I'm not interested in an in-wall fancy control. Just a basic switch and dimmer OR could I do a switch that turns on the light and then just a pull chain that controls the fan? That I would be fine with.

Lutron Skylark 1.5 Amp Single-Pole 3-Speed Slide-to-Off Fan and Light Control - White-SFSQ-LFH-WH - The Home Depot

Old 02-05-17, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
So if there are just two wires then I can't replace the fan and use the switch in the link below?
That would be correct.

You would not have any way of controlling the fan and light separately.
You should take the switch out (don't disconnect it) to verify only 2) two wire cables in the box.

Old 02-05-17, 10:53 AM
I
PJ...so the picture below is what I have. Two wires from the switch but there are other wires inside of the electrical box. One doesn't have a electrical cap on it which makes me nervous.
Name:  switch.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  17.0 KB

Old 02-05-17, 11:49 AM
Group Moderator
That red wire is from a cable that has red, white and black inside it.

Can you see if the black wire from that same cable goes directly to the fan switch ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: