Can lights without thermal protection

Old 02-10-17, 02:18 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can lights without thermal protection

I've installed a lot of recessed lights and they always have thermal protection built into the can. I ordered some 4" cans on Amazon that come with only the orange connector used for LED retrofit bulbs (cheaper and easier since the LED retrofits are what I'm planning on using). I see the IC rated cans I ordered have no thermal protection. Is that normal for IC LED cans? Is it code?

Google searched quite a bit and couldn't find answers, thought I see there are plenty of sources selling such products without the thermal cutoff device, all boasting UL and other certifications. I guess it makes sense if the user can only install LED lights because of the orange connector, that the thermal protection is no longer needed, but it still makes me a bit nervous.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-17, 05:49 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
What is the model number and mfg. of the cans?
Geo

Old 02-11-17, 09:50 AM
C
This is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Remodel-Housi...M7B9Y6JVWA7NG4

You can see in one of the product photos they do actually show the thermal protector on the side of the can. In all the other photos it is not there. My guess is they don't use thermal protectors on cans that come with LED connectors, perhaps because overheating is not an issue. Or they're cheap and cheating people.

Old 02-11-17, 10:00 AM
C
I was browsing the Home Depot website just now and noticed that they carry two 4" Halo cans. One is non-IC with a normal bulb screw mount and has a thermal protector on the side. The other is IC rated and comes with and LED connector and no thermal protector.

Old 02-11-17, 03:57 PM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
They have the UL label so they should be fine if they are used in accordance with the mfg. instructions.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: