Junction box between studs with obstacle

Old 02-15-17, 12:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Junction box between studs with obstacle

Hello! Hope this is the right forum.

I'm installing two sconces in my bathroom, trying to keep them equidistance from the center of the sink. On one side this is fine, the other I have an issue. The main stack runs between those two studs, so I can't use a brace. Any ideas? The right side of the box will be about 5" from the stud.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  38.8 KB

Old 02-15-17, 01:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Use a old work box. Cut a small hole for wire till you install box. Box installs after drywall. Careful when cutting drywall as you don't want to damage pipe. Here are some
https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=old+work+box

Old 02-15-17, 02:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,880 Upvotes on 3,477 Posts
In your picture.... how much room is there between the stack and the back of the light fixture ?

You can always move both boxes so if you need to change the spacing.... do it now.

Old 02-15-17, 04:22 PM
C
Received 166 Upvotes on 134 Posts
Old work box as Don suggests would be easiest. But you could also just nail a piece of 2x4 to the side of the stud and mount box to that. May need a 2x4 and a piece of 1x4....whatever gives you the right distance.

Old 02-15-17, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,880 Upvotes on 3,477 Posts
As was suggested..... an old work box you install after sheetrocking is the easiest way to go but it requires careful measurements.

You must figure now where that box will end up and if it matches the other one. If the measurements are off you can't move your already installed box to match.

This is actually a very common problem as the vent pipe is usually right where your is. I have cut boxes in after sheetrocking but I much prefer to have them in their proper place beforehand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: