LED under and over cabinet lighting

Old 02-19-17, 03:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
LED under and over cabinet lighting

Springs coming close and it's time to start with a well needed project, under and over cabinet lighting. I plan on putting a 3528 RGB LED strip above the cabinets and a 5050 LED strip under. I plan to share a power supply between both strips which will be taken in from the OTR cabinet which has one free plug. I also plan on using two dimmers, one for the RGB strip and one for the single color strip.

I plan to use a 12v 7a, power supply, and roughly this entire lighting system will use 72 watts in total. But theres something i've ran into, the RGB controller says "2a per color" meaning a total of 72w.

The power supply can deliver 84 watts total, but the lighting with both strips on consumes somewhere around 72 watts. My question is, would anything happen if I used a RGB controller to control the RGB strip that takes 24 watts?

More specifically, does it matter how many watts go into the RGB controller? As long as I don't go over the output load of 72w total, will everything be fine? I only plan to use 24 watts for the RGB side, which is well under the output load (72w) limit of the RGB controller, but my concern is how much is going INTO the controller (When both strips are on 72 watts will be consumed).

Old 02-19-17, 03:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
RGB controller says "2a per color" meaning a total of 72w.
More than likely that is its maximum rating.

Your current draw is what the actual LED strips require.
Keep in mind that a power supply run near its maximum rating will run hot... possibly reducing it's reliability.

I try to not exceed three quarters of the power supplies rated output.

Old 02-20-17, 09:42 AM
D
Thanks for the fast response! I think I'll probably use a larger power supply and a larger RGB controller.

If worse did come to worse, would it be okay if I just completely separated the two loads off the power supply and give each load its own power supply and plug them into a power surge bar?

Old 02-20-17, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
Two power supplies would be a good choice.
Power surge bar...... meh. I guess it couldn't hurt.

Old 02-20-17, 05:22 PM
D
Great! Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: