Switch Question

Old 02-27-17, 03:57 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switch Question

so I replaced the old light in one of the bedrooms with a Hunter ceiling fan and light kit. When I took down the old light there were 6 wires involved. two of the whites were wired together. Two of the blacks and a white were wired together and I forget where the green (ground) wire was but I swear I seem to think it was wired together with the two whites but I could be wrong. The new ceiling fan/light kit has 4 wires, a white, a black, a blue and a green (ground) wire.
Here is the way I put it together .... white went to house white. black and blue went to house black and green went to house green which was screwed to the mounting plate.
All seems to work well except for one weird problem. I cannot seem to turned the fan or light on/off using the wall switch. I have to walk completely into the room in order to do either and am wondering which wire is in the wrong place? any ideas?

Old 02-27-17, 04:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,222 Upvotes on 1,983 Posts
Something is wrong. You should not have black and white tied together. It can be done and when it is the white wire should be wrapped with black tape to indicate that it is no longer a neutral. Do you have a electrical tester or meter? You need to figure out what your wires do. It sounds like the black wire you connected your fan to is not switched and is hot all the time.

Old 02-27-17, 06:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Tell us the wires on the switch. As Dane said you will need a tester such as an analog multimeter but you can't use a non contact tester, too prone to false positives.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: