Splitting an existing light fixture for ceiling fan and lights

Old 03-02-17, 02:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Splitting an existing light fixture for ceiling fan and lights

Hi all,

Need your guidance on this. We currently have a light fixture in the living room, and will be swapping it out with a ceiling fan instead. The light is being controlled by one switch.

We do not have any other ceiling lights, so was thinking of possibly splitting the existing wiring to the ceiling fan and installing a track lighting.

Took down the light and there were 3 wires (I'm assuming it was black, white and ground). They were all painted white but I did note which is which, and can take a close up picture.

I'm reading up some and it's saying I cannot have the junction box hidden. How can I best splice this and how would the placement be for the junction box? I'm hoping to place the ceiling fan right where the existing box was since it's right in the center of the living room. I did buy a saf-t-brace for the ceiling fan http://a.co/ghJZHtB.

Thanks in advance.

Name:  ceiling.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  19.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-17, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You only have switched power to the ceiling box. Anything added will be on the same switch as the fan. Best would be to replace the 2-conductor cable (black, white) with a 3-conductor cable (black, red, white).

Old 03-02-17, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What is it that you intend to do with this hole in your ceiling? Ceiling fan? Track lighting? Your post isn't perfectly clear on that. IF you plan on a ceiling fan, you must have a ceiling fan rated box in the ceiling. If you can get a close up directly into the box showing the entire box in the photo it would help us tell you whether or not you have a fan rated box. Without one your fan could fall, so let's be safe.

Old 03-10-17, 08:10 AM
Hi thank you both.

For that hole I took a picture of, I am hoping to place the ceiling fan there. Don't have better pictures but reading up some more and found out it is NOT a fan rated box so I'll have to change it.

On that note, how do I run a wire from that existing wiring to maybe 5 ft away to make a junction box for track lighting? And still have that center area for the ceiling fan installation.

I did have an electrician over and it will run close to $600 which I'd rather spend to buy my materials really, since I'll have to redo one bedroom also (minus the track lighting part).

Old 03-10-17, 08:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
To further reinforce what was previously mentioned...... your one wall switch will control the fan and the track light at the same time.

In the picture below are two sets of lines..... red and green. Those represent ceiling joists.
We can't tell from the picture which way they run. Normally across the shorter distance.

If you are running the wire parallel or in between the joists..... the job is easy. If you need to cross the joists.... it can be more difficult as they would need to be drilled which would involve notching, drilling and patching.

Your box should be on a joist and it you open a little of the ceiling around the box you can see which way they run.

Name:  ceiling.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  24.2 KB

Old 03-10-17, 08:49 AM
I'll open it some more this weekend to check. I'll probably just run it parallel since the position for the track lighting junction box is flexible.

So with that, would it be "extending" the electrical line from there kinda like this? What I'm being thrown of is whether I'll need 3 boxes so to speak...One for the fan, one for the "split" then third for the track lighting.. or just two like this?

Name:  20170310_114328.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  14.4 KB

Old 03-10-17, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 215 Votes on 204 Posts
No... you'll need the fan rated box and a second one for the track.

Check the track system first as some have a starter end where the cable is brought thru the ceiling directly into the back of the started end. In this case you wouldn't need a second box.

On the left is the starter end that covers an existing ceiling box.
The starter end on the right is the one where the cable comes in the back.

Name:  halo2.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  5.8 KB
Halo "type" ends. Same as Hampton Bay at the depot.

Old 04-07-17, 06:24 AM
All,

Thank you for answering my questions. I gave up and ended up having an electrician come in to redo the wiring. It was a little more involved than I would have liked. But he ended up installing a second switch to separate the fan from the track lighting to be. I have a junction box now so matter of reading up which of the track system to go with.

I certainly will be on this site from now on haha.