Wiring bathroom exhaust fan/light with two switches

Old 03-05-17, 09:39 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring bathroom exhaust fan/light with two switches

Electrically ignorant here...

Changing out a bathroom exhaust fan/light combo and need advice on 2 things:

- Existing 14/2 cables are too short to reach new fan wire location. What is the best way to extend them to reach? I was thinking I would add a length of 14/2 in a jbox and then run it to the fan?

- The old fan/light worked fine (I forgot to note the wire setup). There are separate switches for the light and fan, I have not touched those. Instructions for new fan don't address 2 switches so just want to make sure I do it correctly.

Here's the setup:
House side: Two 14/2s coming in, one from each switch. I know which controls which.
Fan side: Blue/white for the light and a black and white for the fan.

I'm know this is basic stuff but just want to be sure I'm doing it correctly. Thanks for your help!

Old 03-05-17, 09:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
add a length of 14/2 in a jbox
IF the area above is open and the junction box will remain accessible, then you can do that.

The neutral from the cables will be bundled together with the white in the fan. The blue will go to one of the black wires from the switches, and the black will go to the other black. Of course you will have them backwards as far as your switch selection will be, so test them before you sew it up.

Old 03-05-17, 05:51 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Perfect. I do have plenty of access from above in the attic. Dumb question...do I need to ground the jbox or can I simply just ground it at the fan? Thanks for your help.

Old 03-05-17, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,891 Upvotes on 3,488 Posts
ANY metal box must be connected (bonded) to ground.
If you are using a floating junction box.... use a green ground screw in the tapped hole in the back of the box.

Old 03-05-17, 06:01 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Box if metal should be grounded.
Existing 14/2 cables are too short to reach new fan wire location. What is the best way to extend them to reach? I was thinking I would add a length of 14/2 in a jbox and then run it to the fan?
A bit difficult understanding what you have and plan to do. I will assume a single switch box with two switches. When changes are made they need to be according to current code. That means a neutral in the switch box even if not needed. Easiest way to do that is bring power into the switch box. To wire the fan/light you only need one three conductor cable (black, red, white) from the switch to the fan.

Name:  Fan_Light_seperate-Switch.jpg
Views: 53104
Size:  20.4 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: