Can't adjust fixture mounting screws, bump into bracket/junction box screws

Old 03-05-17, 10:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Can't adjust fixture mounting screws, bump into bracket/junction box screws

My junction boxes are installed in just the wrong way so that when I try to adjust my fixture mounting screws by unscrewing them back into the junction box area, they bump into the exact spot where the bracket mounts on to the junction box. This is a wall mount fixture and in order to be level, the fixture mounting screws have to be level. Well, some genius installed the junction box so it would conflict with this very common fixture set up.

I could cut the fixture mounting screws down to size, but that messes up the threads and the end cap nut doesn't screw on very well. One bounced off and down into the crack between deck boards. It is non-ferrous brown material which blends in real nice with the leaves and debris under my deck. That's been real fun trying to fish that out of there.

Anyway, any suggestions on how to deal with this? I guess I will end up looking for shorter fixture mounting screws of the same diameter.

3 more fixtures to go. I want the others to go on better than the first hack job that is teetering on the wall.

Old 03-05-17, 11:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 905 Votes on 831 Posts
that messes up the threads and the end cap nut doesn't screw on very well.
How are you cutting the threads?

Old 03-05-17, 12:31 PM
Received 91 Votes on 86 Posts
If you are cutting the screws with pliers that would screw up the threads,use a bolt cutter for the correct size thread,post a pic of the box so we can see what you are dealing with.
Geo

Old 03-05-17, 01:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Name:  0602CBCT.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  27.0 KB .

Old 03-05-17, 02:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 905 Votes on 831 Posts
Thanks guys, my point exactly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question